New Rochelle..woohoo!

My new Rochelle finally arrived from the Button Box last night. I know some people were asking about the differences between the Rochelle and the Hohner, and now that I've got some experience, I can finally say:

WOW!

Such a huge difference. I'm amazed at how much easier the bellows are, and how much more responsive the button action is. I was afraid that I'd have some trouble adjusting, but I took it out of the box, and started ripping it up right away. It seriously is worlds better than the Hohner.

I'm a little glad I started on the Hohner though...I think the stiff bellows and slow action helped me build up the muscle tone to play the Rochelle a lot cleaner than I would have had I started with it.

I'm totally excited, and can't wait to get home and play it some more!

My new Rochelle finally arrived from the Button Box last night. I know some people were asking about the differences between the Rochelle and the Hohner, and now that I've got some experience, I can finally say:

WOW!

Such a huge difference. I'm amazed at how much easier the bellows are, and how much more responsive the button action is. I was afraid that I'd have some trouble adjusting, but I took it out of the box, and started ripping it up right away. It seriously is worlds better than the Hohner.

I'm a little glad I started on the Hohner though...I think the stiff bellows and slow action helped me build up the muscle tone to play the Rochelle a lot cleaner than I would have had I started with it.

Ahhhh the joy of a new instrument. :D

I don't suppose we'll hear from you again, for a few days ... you'll be far too busy putting manners on the new Box! ;)

Cheers

Dick

I'm on the same path as you guys. went from a Hohner purchased from Musician's Friend to the Rochelle I currently own, and now am waiting for my new Morse Ceili to be ready.

To me, it was evident right away that the Hohner was pretty much a toy. The Rochelle has a quality feel and a much more concertina-like tone. It's been a fine learner's instrument. These being the only two boxes I've played, I'm not 100% sure what to expect from the Ceili.

WOW!

Ahhhh the joy of a new instrument. :D

I don't suppose we'll hear from you again, for a few days ... you'll be far too busy putting manners on the new Box! ;)

Cheers

Dick

These being the only two boxes I've played, I'm not 100% sure what to expect from the Ceili.

Honestly, you wouldn't believe how easy is to play compared to the stiff cheap boxes. Has everything: it's beatiful, fast action, great bellows and a nice tone. The only needed thing that would make it a perfect box - and this is only a matter of personal taste - would be if it was a bit louder. But hasn't the prize of a Jeffries, so it's perfectly OK for me. :) Enjoy it.

Cheers,

Fer

I'm on the same path as you guys. went from a Hohner purchased from Musician's Friend to the Rochelle I currently own, and now am waiting for my new Morse Ceili to be ready.

To me, it was evident right away that the Hohner was pretty much a toy. The Rochelle has a quality feel and a much more concertina-like tone. It's been a fine learner's instrument. These being the only two boxes I've played, I'm not 100% sure what to expect from the Ceili.

Keep away from the Ceili as well as the other italian reeded instruments. They are excellent instruments that get you say 80-90% of what you would get in a traditionally reeded instruments in terms of tone and response but at a fraction of the price. The basic problem is, that once you have tried one, you might never want to play your Rochelle again :). In fact, there are a few players who actually prefer the italian reeded instruments to the traditionally reeded ones.

--

Bill