Fuzzy bass note (all of a sudden) on Linota G/D

Today the bottom G on my Linota G/D (circa 1928) developed a fuzzy sound. I have inserted a sample Wheatstone_G.mp3 for you to listen.

There is a ringing as the reed starts and it then quietens with increased pressure but 'rings' as the vibrations die when the note is stopped. There is a point where the air pressure is just right for the ringing to be continuous and to beat with the note, producing a horrible sound.

Now, this doesn't notice at all in normal playing as I only very briefly play the note before following it with others which cover the 'ringing', but obviously it isn't right. and it is likely to notice when playing waltzes rather than polkas.

I haven't opened the instrument to inspect; I thought I would ask you first to listen and suggest possible causes to look for.

Thanks in advance for your help

David

Today the bottom G on my Linota G/D (circa 1928) developed a fuzzy sound. I have inserted a sample Wheatstone_G.mp3 for you to listen.

There is a ringing as the reed starts and it then quietens with increased pressure but 'rings' as the vibrations die when the note is stopped. There is a point where the air pressure is just right for the ringing to be continuous and to beat with the note, producing a horrible sound.

You will have to open up the concertina and investigate. Two possible causes come to mind.

1 - a bit of dirt on the reed tongue or on the reed frame which is fouling the gap between the tongue and frame when the reed is set vibrating.

2 - the reed frame is loose in its dovetail slot and is vibrating itself when it ought to be held rigid.

Remedy 1 - try gently flicking or 'pinging' the reed tongue and/or run a piece of thin steel shim stock or stiff paper up and down between the reed tongue and the frame. But if using paper take care you don't rip any fragments of paper off which could themselves become trapped between the tongue and the frame.

Remedy 2 - if the reed frame is loose in its dovetail slot, first ensure it is fully pushed in to the slot as far as it will go and check that it will stay there. I've known reed frames become loose as a result of a knock or shock to the concertina, or tiny changes in the dovetail slot dimensions due to changes in temperature/humidity.

If it remains loose, make a thin short paper shim of a width to match the thickness of the reed frame (a sliver of gummed paper from an envelope flap is good) and insert it along the edge of the dovetail slot at one side of the inner (rounded) end to make a snug fit of the reed frame in the slot. You could insert a second shim adjacent to the outer end of the reed frame next to the reed tongue clamp. However, make sure the shim does not reach along the central portion of the reed frame slot otherwise it can distort the edge of the frame so that the tongue fouls the edge of the frame.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Steve_freereeder

Steve...... spot on!

Reed shoe had moved back very slightly in it's slot; not actually loose, but not as snug as it could be. There is a paper shim in the slot, so maybe a change in humidity caused the fit to be just less than firm. Anyway, all working again perfectly.

Thanks, David

Steve...... spot on!

Reed shoe had moved back very slightly in it's slot; not actually loose, but not as snug as it could be. There is a paper shim in the slot, so maybe a change in humidity caused the fit to be just less than firm. Anyway, all working again perfectly.

Thanks, David

Good! Glad you were able to fix it.

Hi

Maybe we ought to have a set of 'recordings' of problem sounds to which people can refer, along with the solutions as suggested by the 'experts' (and confirmed by the owner of the 'problem sound') to enable the 'more courageous' to sort out their own 'minor' problems

chris (having just sorted out a loose frame today)