Wheatstone English concertina with 4 folds bellows

koeter

Hi

I have the opportunity to get a Wheatstone Englich # 3403 which came to the owner in Germany 2005 from Paul Read in Canada. The owner says that she is in excellent condition and has concert pitch. But she has only 4 folds bellows. My question: was this normal in these early days and does it influence the sound and the duration?

Juergen

Hi

I have the opportunity to get a Wheatstone Englich # 3403 which came to the owner in Germany 2005 from Paul Read in Canada. The owner says that she is in excellent condition and has concert pitch. But she has only 4 folds bellows. My question: was this normal in these early days and does it influence the sound and the duration?

Juergen

I've a Treble Wheatstone English with 4 folds bellows, and I don't have any problems.. so.. uh. Dunno if it was normal, but I suppose if I wanted to sustain a really, really, really long note I might have troubles?

4 fold was quite common. If the bellows and seals are tight and the valves efficient chances are that 4 folds will serve. 3403 is an early serial #. The quality of the reed work will have to be judged on an individual instrument basis, but i would not be put off by 4 fold bellows.

I worked on Dieppe's Wheatstone and his rivet brass reeds have very good tolerances. I was impressed with that instrument's sweetness and response and it was by no means quiet. I believe it had a serial # around the 20,000s. I have several brass reed wheatstones from that period and they all have very nice reeds (and 4 fold bellows!)

Even with some big chords you could adjust the bellows work to match the phrasing of the music. You just might have to plan ahead a bit more than with a 5 or 6 fold.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

I have Wheatstone 2667, a brass reeded model with the original 4 fold bellows, patched a bit by Button Box and some other previous owner, so now air tight. It is quite quiet (which I like-- I can play it at hours when I can't play one of my session instruments) and sweet in tone. I haven't noticed any problem with running out of air when playing it. I have occasionally run out of air trying to play a long phrase in one direction on my aeola with 6 folds-- but that was my own fault for not taking advantage of chances to change directions. I makes some difference how loud you are trying to play and how many chords you are using. At any rate I wouldn't worry too much about only having 4 folds.