sound differences in different kinds of wood

As far as I know, Lachenal had a range of models to suit all pockets etc. I think the Rosewood models were a higher spec than the Mahogany. I suspect that's the main reason for this advice but I'm sure other far more knowledgeable people can fill you in.

As a generalization the rosewood Lachenals usually have the better (than staples for pivot posts) action and usually better reed work than their mahogany counterparts. In my experience the sound board and reed pan of rosewood Lachenals can be of a more carefully selected wood.

I suppose the modern day counterpart might be General Motors of the 1950s and 60s. The mahogany end Lachenals would be Chevrolets; the rosewood ends would be like Pontiacs: the ebony and metal enders approximating Buiks and Oldsmobiles; I guess the Edeophones and New Model anglos were the Cadillacs.

Among the Chevrolets there were some better models (1956 & 1957) and one can sometimes find a mahogany ended gem. And just as there have been some "lemons" labeled Cadillac there can be some high end appearing concertinas that disappoint.

So type of wood and style of fretwork and kind of buttons and fittings can be indications of levels of attention and quality but there is nothing like taking an instrument out for a test drive and personal evaluation to find out what is really under the hood!

Greg

PS. To address the original question: I think the wood has less to do with the sound than the overall attention to quality, and work and materials. The type of end wood became like the particular divisions of GM where you expected a certain quality and performance from a Chevy, Pontiac or Olds. Maybe like a brand identification within Lachenal.

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

thanks Greg that's basically what i expected.i guess what i was really trying to get at is "two hypethetical concertinas with the same reeds, action etc. but different kinds of wood used, would there be a huge difference in sound if this was absolutely the only thing different about them,it's seems like the awnser would be not really much.

... "under the wood", you mean?

/Henrik

Very good, Henrik!!!

I should add that Lachenal did their own name brand identification, particularly in english systems, with models such as "The Inimitable" with rosewood ends and corner fleurettes and "The Excelsior" which was similar but in ebony. I believe there was also a "Journet" and we are all familiar with New Models that could be in rosewood or ebony or metal ended.

The Lachenal and Wheatstone concertina "Ad Wars" may have reached a zenith with Aeola and Edeophone. You could hardly go wrong with either one. I have not played dozens of examples of each but the ones I have tried lead me to different expectations of sound color but not necessarilly differences in response or quality. (Mahogany sound boards on the Edeophone?)

Greg

... "under the wood", you mean?

/Henrik

Very good, Henrik!!!

I should add that Lachenal did their own name brand identification, particularly in english systems, with models such as "The Inimitable" with rosewood ends and corner fleurettes and "The Excelsior" which was similar but in ebony. I believe there was also a "Journet" and we are all familiar with New Models that could be in rosewood or ebony or metal ended.

The Lachenal and Wheatstone concertina "Ad Wars" may have reached a zenith with Aeola and Edeophone. You could hardly go wrong with either one. I have not played dozens of examples of each but the ones I have tried lead me to different expectations of sound color but not necessarilly differences in response or quality. (Mahogany sound boards on the Edeophone?)

Greg

wasn't their at some point talk of naming the buttom end english lachanel "the peoples concertina"(at the advice of lachanels wife if i remember right)

pastlifeasakite Posted Today, 11:22 AM

thanks Greg that's basically what i expected.i guess what i was really trying to get at is "two hypethetical concertinas with the same reeds, action etc. but different kinds of wood used, would there be a huge difference in sound if this was absolutely the only thing different about them,it's seems like the awnser would be not really much.

Well, not so fast. Opinions vary. There is a camp of Suttner followers who say they can hear a difference and swear by the sound of Jurgen's solid ebony model.

At Carroll Concertinas we just finished an amboyna model. I can't swear it plays or sounds better than any of our other concertinas but it is a treat for the eyes and that might whet expectations of better sound:

http://www.carrollconcertinas.com/

Until we can do some double blind studies to eliminate the placebo effect, looks and expectations will probably always influence our ears.

Greg

Lachenal did their own name brand identification, particularly in english systems, with models such as "The Inimitable" with rosewood ends and corner fleurettes and "The Excelsior" which was similar but in ebony.

Seems we've gone the opposite extreme with modern makes like Suttner - there you have a choice of A1, A2, A3 .....!!!! Somehow doesn't sound quite the same :)

Edited by tombilly