20 Button Anglo Simple question

Petra

Hello,

I live in the U.S. and play the accordion. Recently, I purchased a 20 button Anglo; I downloaded 'method' material in an attempt to learn how to play.

Here is my 'simple' (HA :lol: ) question:

Does ANYONE know where I can download a chart for this instrument with PICTURES OF FINGERS :unsure: --so I can tell which fingers to use...and where to use them?

I apologize for being so dense. HELP!

Petra

Welcome to concertina.net, and congratulations on getting a concertina.

I don't know of any charts showing fingers, but there are plenty showing the notes for each button. Here's one:

Anglo keyboard layout

To start with the basics: first, make sure you're holding it the right way up! In addition to the 20 buttons there will be an extra air button - this should be on the right hand side and is operated by your right thumb. The lower notes should be on the LH side and the higher notes on the right.

Put your hands (but not your thumbs) through the straps.

The row of buttons furthest from you is in the key of C. Put your index (first) finger on the top button of each row, second finger on the next one down, and so on. Each finger should be lightly touching the button, but not exerting any pressure. Hold down the air button with your right thumb and open the bellows about half-way.

Starting with your LH third finger, hold down the button and gently push the bellows together - that gives you C. Keep holding down the same button and pull - D. Raise your finger, do the same with the second finger - E push, F pull. First finger gives G push, A pull. Now the scale switches to the right hand. Index finger PULL gives B, push brings you back to C.

Like a harmonica, to play a scale the sequence goes push-pull-push-pull-push-pull-pull-push.

Continue the same sequence with the other RH fingers in turn to get another higher scale in C (it gets a bit illogical at the top of the scale but with a bit of trial and error you should sort it out). A similar sequence of fingering on the inner row will give you scales in G.

As you already play accordian, you'll realise that apart from F/F# the notes in the C and G scales are the same, so most notes occur in each row, giving you alternative ways of playing - you don't have to stick to one row just because you're playing in C or G. This is one of the main differences between the anglo keyboard and piano accordian, where each note has just one key - on the anglo the same note may be played with 2 or 3 different buttons. The other difference is of course that you get a different note on the push and pull.

Most players seem to use that initial position I described, with the index finger of each hand on the top button of the outer C row, as their "home" position. There are no strict rules as to which finger you use for each button, but it helps to start from here and use each finger on the corresponding button of the row. For the notes at the bottom of the rows, you may need to choose between using your pinky or moving your third finger. The choice largely depends on the sequence of notes you are playing, and sometimes you might need to change from the finger you would normally use in order to get the best sequence.

Try to avoid playing consecutive notes on different buttons with the same finger (this is sometimes known as "chopping", especially by Irish players).

This is actually harder to describe than to do - try it, and don't be afraid to experiment. Many of us are self-taught, and most of us learned by trial and error

Hello!

MANY MANY THANKS for the swift reply to my plea. I appreciate the wonderfully clear instruction. It's a great help.

..Yesterday, I purchased TWO books, neither of which showed a 'true' beginning! As a person who plays piano accordion, I was really disappointed in the lack of clarity for beginning concertina players--something I never encountered with accordion method books (say, Palmer Hughes)!

Truly, if someone out there (a teacher perhaps) printed a simple fingering chart, the concertina might actually become even more popular here (I wish). :lol:

America seems to be concertina-challenged, I'm afraid!

I'll keep you posted as to my progress. :P

Welcome to concertina.net, and congratulations on getting a concertina.

I don't know of any charts showing fingers, but there are plenty showing the notes for each button. Here's one:

Anglo keyboard layout

To start with the basics: first, make sure you're holding it the right way up! In addition to the 20 buttons there will be an extra air button - this should be on the right hand side and is operated by your right thumb. The lower notes should be on the LH side and the higher notes on the right.

Put your hands (but not your thumbs) through the straps.

The row of buttons furthest from you is in the key of C. Put your index (first) finger on the top button of each row, second finger on the next one down, and so on. Each finger should be lightly touching the button, but not exerting any pressure. Hold down the air button with your right thumb and open the bellows about half-way.

Starting with your LH third finger, hold down the button and gently push the bellows together - that gives you C. Keep holding down the same button and pull - D. Raise your finger, do the same with the second finger - E push, F pull. First finger gives G push, A pull. Now the scale switches to the right hand. Index finger PULL gives B, push brings you back to C.

Like a harmonica, to play a scale the sequence goes push-pull-push-pull-push-pull-pull-push.

Continue the same sequence with the other RH fingers in turn to get another higher scale in C (it gets a bit illogical at the top of the scale but with a bit of trial and error you should sort it out). A similar sequence of fingering on the inner row will give you scales in G.

As you already play accordian, you'll realise that apart from F/F# the notes in the C and G scales are the same, so most notes occur in each row, giving you alternative ways of playing - you don't have to stick to one row just because you're playing in C or G. This is one of the main differences between the anglo keyboard and piano accordian, where each note has just one key - on the anglo the same note may be played with 2 or 3 different buttons. The other difference is of course that you get a different note on the push and pull.

Most players seem to use that initial position I described, with the index finger of each hand on the top button of the outer C row, as their "home" position. There are no strict rules as to which finger you use for each button, but it helps to start from here and use each finger on the corresponding button of the row. For the notes at the bottom of the rows, you may need to choose between using your pinky or moving your third finger. The choice largely depends on the sequence of notes you are playing, and sometimes you might need to change from the finger you would normally use in order to get the best sequence.

Try to avoid playing consecutive notes on different buttons with the same finger (this is sometimes known as "chopping", especially by Irish players).

This is actually harder to describe than to do - try it, and don't be afraid to experiment. Many of us are self-taught, and most of us learned by trial and error

Petra, your profile doesn't say where you're from. There are plenty of concertina players in America, but it's a big place.

I suggest you post in the General Discussion section asking if there are other players in your area - you might be surprised. There are also a number of concertina events around the country and there might be one within travelling distance of you.

I'll keep you posted as to my progress. :P

Hi Petra,

Welcome to the crazy world of the Anglo concertina.

What type(s) of music do you hope to play on the Anglo?

I'm working on a few "guidelines", at present, aimed at players new to the Anglo but with an instrument and tutor book in front of them! It will probably take me a few days to complete. I'm trying not to "re-invent the wheel", and there are many tutor books available, but I'm trying to throw some (hopefully) useful thoughts into the learning process.

Then I will ask a couple of tame "guinea pigs" (aka my pupils, and very tolerant of my teaching ways and weird sense of humour!) if they will kindly test what I have written.

Assuming that my notes pass the test, I'll post a link here.

Regards,

Peter.

Petra, your profile doesn't say where you're from. There are plenty of concertina players in America, but it's a big place.

I suggest you post in the General Discussion section asking if there are other players in your area - you might be surprised. There are also a number of concertina events around the country and there might be one within travelling distance of you.

I was wondering that myself, for example I sit here in the middle of Ohio. While I don't regularly get together with anybody, there are roughly 10 others in the area that play anglo, unfortunately most of them playing Irish music (nothing wrong with Irish music, just not my cup of tea for what I want to play). Likewise, I know of a cluster in the Cincinnati area. Once a year I know that I can see several other concertina players at the Dublin Irish festival here in town and informally talk shop. And I head out to New England in the fall when I can for the squeeze in put on by the Button Box, (which is also a good place to call in the states for instructional material). I've thought about driving down to Dan Worrel's Palestine advent held in Teas in March, but it doesn't quite fot my schedule due to work. And I saw on here that the folks in the Northwest have gotten together on a saturday. So let folks have a rough idea where you are at, and maybe you can get a sit down for some help.

Alan

Hello Alan,

Yes, America is a 'big' place...and I'm nowhere near Ohio. I'm in Northern California. I surely thought there would be more interest here than in some places; however, that doesn't seem to be true.

I'm having a devil of a time with the straps. :unsure:

My fingers aren't long and they don't want to reach the buttons. Is this common?

Petra

I was wondering that myself, for example I sit here in the middle of Ohio. While I don't regularly get together with anybody, there are roughly 10 others in the area that play anglo, unfortunately most of them playing Irish music (nothing wrong with Irish music, just not my cup of tea for what I want to play). Likewise, I know of a cluster in the Cincinnati area. Once a year I know that I can see several other concertina players at the Dublin Irish festival here in town and informally talk shop. And I head out to New England in the fall when I can for the squeeze in put on by the Button Box, (which is also a good place to call in the states for instructional material). I've thought about driving down to Dan Worrel's Palestine advent held in Teas in March, but it doesn't quite fot my schedule due to work. And I saw on here that the folks in the Northwest have gotten together on a saturday. So let folks have a rough idea where you are at, and maybe you can get a sit down for some help.

Alan

Hi Petra,

How far north in California? Lots of players in the Bay area and they seem to be getting together quarterly.

What make instrument do you have? Some are more "reach tolerant" than others. It may be possible to modify the straps or even move the handbars.

While most will advise a 30b intrument there is a lot of imprtant learning to be done on a 20.

Welcome to the wonderful world of concertinas. Enjoy the adventure!

Greg