Italian?Gypsy?-8 Key-17 Bellow-Sistema Campli Sqawkbox-ID assist

UPSTATENY

This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I found your informative site while trying to identify this lovely, antique but rather primitive looking sqawk box (compared to the concertina's I've seen on this site). Since I know nothing about concertina's or instruments, the most puzzling feature is the number of keys - there are only 8 keys and 17 metal tipped bellows. The keys all work and different notes emit when the bellows are open and closed. I inadvertantly poked a side key cover inside the box when I was trying to make it work.

Also, it has glass covered pictures of beautiful young ladies and perhaps the maker's name - "RINOMATA FABBRIBA DI AMRONICHE-SISTEMA CAMPLI-ABBUZZI". The only translation that came up was "amroniche(accordian)-sistema (system), so that didn't take me anywhere.

Any input as to origin, age, id,etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FRONT.jpg

BACK.jpg

SIDE2.jpg

SIDE1.jpg

TOPBELLOWS17.jpg

It is (or perhaps was) a melodeon. Unfortunately the treble end keyboard/pallets etc are missing so it will need real work to make it function again.

Thanks so much for your prompt response.

I didn't realize there are missing pieces - on which of the four photos should the missing keyboard/pallet be? Actually, what is a keyboard pallet? I did a google search for keyboard pallet but it only shows the entire concertina.

Do you think this is just a home-made melodeon/concertina or was it commerically/professionally produced? Thanks again.

Welcome to concertina.net.

I'm not trying to get rid of you!! - but - you may find this site/forum will be able to give you more information Melodeon.net

regards

Jake

Ha...thanks, I'll check them out.

But before I leave, and not to offend concertina afficandos, but can you tell me the simple difference between a concentina and a melodeon (a new word for me) - is the number of keys, the number of bellows,etc.????

I've enjoyed surfing around this very interesting and informative forum and thank you for the input. I've already learned a new word and developed a respect for sqwakboxes.

I didn't realize there are missing pieces - on which of the four photos should the missing keyboard/pallet be? Actually, what is a keyboard pallet?

It would have originality looked something like this The end with all the holes should have the keyboard on it. It is almost certainly a commercially produced box. You will be more than welcome over on mel.net where everyone is most helpful, might even meet me there :-)