What's You Preferred Position?

Ptarmigan

I'm just wondering:

A - what is the recommended way to hold the English Concertina, when playing?

B - what way do you prefer to hold it?

I see lots of folks rest the RHS end of it, on their right knee or thigh.

However, I must confess, I've been trying a few different positions, but the most comfortable for me I find, is sitting back, cross legged & relaxed.

In this position I also find I am less likely to nudge the air button/levers, which sit just in front of each thumb strap.

I also don't get pains nearly so quickly, in either my thumbs or my pinkies, when sitting this way.

So, any thoughts folks?

Cheers

Dick

I usually rest the left side of the instrument on my left knee. I found reassurance that there are quite a lot of acceptable ways to hold the instrument from Allan Atlas's _Contemplating the Concertina_ which has a long section on the subject. He has pictures of players from the Victorian era through modern times with some using neck straps, some standing, some sitting, some with the end anchored on the left knee, some on the right, some with one end on each knee. Basically, do what works.

I usually rest the left side of the instrument on my left knee. I found reassurance that there are quite a lot of acceptable ways to hold the instrument from Allan Atlas's _Contemplating the Concertina_ which has a long section on the subject. He has pictures of players from the Victorian era through modern times with some using neck straps, some standing, some sitting, some with the end anchored on the left knee, some on the right, some with one end on each knee. Basically, do what works.

Sounds good to me Larry. Thanks.

Cheers,

Dick

One end on each knee. Sitting down, that is! It does feel a bit prim and proper, which is a novelty feeling for me, but that's where it's ended up.

I'd like to try it with a neck strap, but will have to construct a girlie one, because I'm not putting chisels'n'things anywhere near my squeezy baby.

I rest it on my left knee.

I dont recommend resting two fingers on the finger rest,otherwise I second Larry Stouts comments,as long as you are not likely to wear your bellows,by dragging them across your legs /knees.

Dick,

I find I am most comfortable with my right leg crossed over my left & the RH end of the Concertina resting on my thigh.

I only rest my Pinkies on the rest & am already making good use of my third fingers for notes on the lower row of buttons.

I will be careful not to rest the bellows on my leg though.

Cheers

Dick

One end on each knee. Sitting down, that is! It does feel a bit prim and proper, which is a novelty feeling for me, but that's where it's ended up.

I'd like to try it with a neck strap, but will have to construct a girlie one, because I'm not putting chisels'n'things anywhere near my squeezy baby.

Hi,

"One end on each knee." ???

Does that mean you are moving your legs in & out along with the motion of the bellows?? :huh: :blink:

No chisels eh, perhaps you could use a sling? B)

Cheers

Dick

Cats and concertinas don't mix. Frequently, the moment I sit down and make myself comfortable on a chair ready to play the concertina, my cat appears from nowhere and jumps on my lap just as I am about to pick up my concertina. Well, it can be a little difficult to play the concertina with one end balanced on one knee, with a cat sitting on your lap at the same time! :( Not only that, but he wants to be stroked and I don't have three hands. I have tried putting a second chair next to mine and shifting him on to it but, no, he immediately clambers back onto my lap. Playing several of the highest notes on the tina doesn't seem to put him off. He doesn't seem to have a favourite tune, either. Whichever tune I play, he simply continues to lie on my lap, in a state of bliss, purring like a well-oiled machine, and me, the softy, hates to disturb him. Result: Cat 1. Me 0. Does anyone else with pets have problems with them while playing?

Chris

Does that mean you are moving your legs in & out along with the motion of the bellows?? :huh: :blink:

Yes, I am a model of elegancy and decorum. :ph34r: Nah, I don't think I do. I don't know what happens really, I'm too busy thinking about my fingers. My playing is constantly "evolving", and now I play with right-hand pinkie in the pinkie rest, but left-hand pinkie free.

No chisels eh, perhaps you could use a sling? B)

I was thinking more along the lines of a 9-piece plait and sticky-backed Velcro.