Old Palace Clog Morris - August 2007.

Hello Pete,

nicely played as usual :-)

Just a matter of interest: Old Palace Clog Morris - hm, but as far as I know it´s not really morris dancing. It looks like the north western type of clog dancing or am I wrong?

I used to know a clog team in Essex and they did more or less the same type of dancing insisting it´s not morris.

Grettings from Germany

Christian

Here's a short clip, with "yours truly" playing for OPC.

Needless to say the video concentrates on the dancers, and I'm almost obscured by the person holding the microphone! Never mind, I've had my 15 minutes of fame, so here's another 31 seconds ;) :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j1aZQUfgVPk

Edited by Christian Husmann

Old Palace Clog Morris - hm, but as far as I know it´s not really morris dancing. It looks like the north western type of clog dancing or am I wrong?

I'm sure Pete will be along soon to say "you're wrong", but in the meantime, I'm guessing that you've seen Cotswold Morris (hankies, bells and sticks) but probably not the other regional styles that all get called Morris?

Briefly, these are:

Border (or Welsh Border) - originally from the Welsh Marches but now performed all over England & Wales

Molly - originally from East Anglia but again now seen all over

North West Clog - from Lancashire/Cheshire but now all over

Also sometimes included under the broad umbrella of "Morris" are Rapper Sword dancing from the North East, Longsword from Yorkshire and Carnival (aka "Fluffy") Morris from Cheshire/Derbyshire.

It's a very broad church. :lol:

Old Palace Clog Morris - hm, but as far as I know it´s not really morris dancing. It looks like the north western type of clog dancing or am I wrong?

I'm sure Pete will be along soon to say "you're wrong", but in the meantime, I'm guessing that you've seen Cotswold Morris (hankies, bells and sticks) but probably not the other regional styles that all get called Morris?

It's a very broad church. :lol:

As if I would!

A very broad church, Dave, and most of the worship seems to take place in or around the public house.

Regards,

Peter.

Just a matter of interest: Old Palace Clog Morris - hm, but as far as I know it´s not really morris dancing. It looks like the north western type of clog dancing or am I wrong?

I used to know a clog team in Essex and they did more or less the same type of dancing insisting it´s not morris.

Hi Christian,

OPC dance in the style of NW Clog, and, in fact, use some dances which originated in that part of England. As Dave says, many styles of dance are grouped under the Morris "umbrella".

By the way, grass is the least favoured dancing surface, since much of the effect comes from the sound of the clogs striking a solid surface.

Regards,

Peter.

• 1 month later...
By the way, grass is the least favoured dancing surface, since much of the effect comes from the sound of the clogs striking a solid surface.

Here's how it's supposed to sound:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ch75i4siUP0&...849&index=3

Sadly no concertina on this occasion, but OPC do have Chris Shaw (melodeon) as a fairly regular musician.

Peter.