Up-for-critique

m3838

Hello there.

Something happened to my On-Site_School topic and I don't see new posts displayed.

So I had to start another topic.

Here's another "tune" up for critique.

While I'm working on a piece from Bach's Cello suites, I have recorded and uploaded (experimentally) an audio only "video" clip.

It was recorded using built-in microphone in my iBook, using Garage Band. The quality of sound seemed to be better, when played back through Garage Band and it deteriorated after it was compressed and saved.

Any hints and help here would be appreciated.

It's here.

Critique away, especially I would appreciate suggestions on dynamics and phrasing.

And I probably misspelled the name, but just can't remember it. It's Bach's Buree (sp?) arranged by Danny Chapman.

Thanks.

OK; to me it came across as a bit uncertain what you were aiming for, like you were aiming for smooth but weren't convinced that's what suited it.

The Wickipedia says:

"The bourrée is a dance of French origin common in Auvergne and Biscay in Spain in the 17th century. It is danced in quick double time, somewhat resembling the gavotte. The main difference between the two is the anacrusis, or upbeat; a bourrée starts on the last crochet of a bar, creating a quarter-bar anacrusis, whereas a gavotte has a half-bar anacrusis. The musical form was used by some composers, often as a dance-movement in a suite, but also for independent pieces. The dance survives to this day in the Auvergne and has been successfully "exported" to the UK and other countries. The bourrée of lower Auvergne, also called Montagnarde, is in triple time, while that of high Auvergne is in double time."

Anyway for Bach's purposes I think you need to get it up on it's toes a bit more and give it a clear identity as a dance tune. Any use?

Note the spelling! Where did you get the music from if it doesn't have it written on the top?

Sounds quite good, I think.

I think the tempo is pretty okay...maybe a touch faster, but I think you're well within the realm of acceptability. For a quick example of tempo di bourrée:

http://www.britannica.com/eb/art-86218/Tem...achs-Partita-No

And you seem really close to that, so that's good.

As Dirge said, your articulations seemed a little inconsistent...but I feel your pain on that one.

As far as phrasing and shape, there was a little too much immediate crescendo-diminuendo and not enough long range direction for my taste. You shape a lot of the individual notes and short phrases, but I don't really hear the phrases leading anywhere. You also took a little more rubato than I would with a dance-movement, but that's again personal preference. Sounds great!

/my $.02

Edited by njurkowski

Again, what is double speed, and what exactly the difference between Gavote and Bourree?

I was aiming for smooth, but my Albion is not particularly air sufficient, so I was experimenting with up-beat more stacatto style, which is interesting, but a thing on it's own.

Good point about shaping a phraze instead of it's pieces. I'll work on that one.

What I can't get is decent simplicity. So it doesn't feel like I'm not using dynamics against the will of the music.

I'm noticing that when I play stacatto, it sounds pretty weak, so I naturally tend to use legato style. I just can't get enough sound out of stacatto.

Thanks.

It's very pleasing and needs only a slight polish; the notes are there. Sorry, forgot my manners, should have said that in the first place. Nick's absolutely right you need to play right through the phrases a bit more.

Staccato notes save air, just as a general comment to a man struggling with bellows volume.

The danger of this is you get a piece designed by committee...

Nick's absolutely right you need to play right through the phrases a bit more.

Got it!

Staccato notes save air, just as a general comment to a man struggling with bellows volume.

Exactly,if I only had more powerful sound and more responsive reeds...

The danger of this is you get a piece designed by committee...

Nah! Not in my case.

..... what exactly the difference between Gavote and Bourree?

In Baroque music, a Gavotte is written in 4/4 or 2/2 time and always starts with a half bar (pick up) phrase shown in italics in the example below, followed by a strong downbeat on the first beat of the next full bar. This phrasing pattern is continued throughout the music.

For example:

2/2 diddle-diddle|DUM dee dee dee|DUM dum, diddle-diddle|DUM dee dee dee|DUM......

As far as I know a Bouree is in 2/4 time and may, or may not, have an pick-up upbeat quaver:

2/4 dee|DUM dum DUM dum| diddle-diddle DUM dee| diddle-diddle dum dum|DUM.....

In traditional French music there are also triple-time bourees, usually notated in 3/8 time and played quite fast.

Hope this helps,

Steve

It was recorded using built-in microphone in my iBook, using Garage Band. The quality of sound seemed to be better, when played back through Garage Band and it deteriorated after it was compressed and saved.

Does Garage Band allow you to choose your compression ratio? If so, you might pick a higher kbps. Of course, this results in a larger file size.

It sounds great to me. This is a definite indication of my extent of knowledge, ...I'm assuming you are playing an English box? It makes me want to invest in an EC.

Misha, It was beautiful. I know you love to give and get critiques and struggle in this Sturm und Drang thang, but what I hear is a sensitive musician doing his damndest to honor Bach. Bach has been well served and will continue to be served as you continue with this and other works. I suspect our Misha the wild Russian will never be completely satisfied....Bravo!