40b Wheatstone Bb For Sale

Greg Jowaisas

Here is an unusual instrument that I am selling. It is an Wheatstone anglo made in 1953. Octagonal, 40 buttons, in Bb/F and piccolo tuned. This means it sounds an octave higher than a normal Bb anglo. Serial #55582 Here is the Horniman ledger page:

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD04/PAGES/D4P0040S.HTM

The concertina is in tune and plays well. It is a model 7A which was Wheatstone's "professional" grade at the time. Here is a link to a 1956 pricelist:

http://www.concertina.com/pricelists/wheat...t-All-c1956.pdf

Apparently model 7A came with 8 fold bellows and they are in great shape and airtight. 3 tiny screw holes have been filled where an external mic jack was located. Steel reeds. The reed shoes are dovetailed into the reed pan. The shoes are aluminum for the lower notes with brass shoes for the highest notes.

A few minor dings. More pictures available. Leather covered Wheatstone case. $3800. USD

Cnet will receive a donation from this instrument's sale.

Regards,

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Here is an unusual instrument that I am selling. It is an Wheatstone anglo made in 1953. Octagonal, 40 buttons, in Bb/F and piccolo tuned. This means it sounds an octave higher than a normal Bb anglo.

Hi Greg,

Looks a beauty! Interesting to see that this instrument has a red action board; the second 1950's Wheatstone on "Buy & Sell", this month, with this feature.

Regards,

Peter.

Yes, Pete, quite red! I couldn't remember whether this one or my first 30b 1950s Wheatstone had the red action pan. Perhaps both!

I do not know the exact provenance of this instrument. I suspect it did not go to S. Africa. There was a small cadre of concertina aficionados in Cincinnati, OH. Grey Larsen found several anglos including two 12-sided ones. I found another. These were all in D/A. One of Grey's had a spare set of Bb reed pans. Another of his Cincinnati finds was six sided and in Bb/F. So I think, and this is just an educated guess, that a group from here like to play D/A and Bb/F boxes. Something to investigate.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas