John Kirkpatrick - From The Archives.

PeterT

Another picture from my archive - digital copy of original B&W print. This photo shows John Kirkpatrick with his 30 key C/G Wheatstone baritone Anglo.

I have marked the image "copyright", but am happy for it to be down-loaded for personal use.

Peter.

post-1710-1201549118_thumb.jpg

Do you have any more interesting snaps from your archives suitable for posting here?

Well, I've got one or two, Chris. However, one or two Forum members might be worried by "Doesn't he look young/have a lot of hair, there?" comments!

But seriously, when I was active on the concertina scene (broadly 1986-95) as well as doing much "archive" recording (which is now with the ICA) I took a fair number of B&W photographs. I have prints from some of these, and have taken digital images of these. Where the original photo was good (i.e. the one of John, taken in good light with ISO400 film), I'm happy with the results. However, others were "action" photos taken with films rated at ISO3200; you can see the difference!

As I mentioned in my recent W.C.C.P. posting, the US publication "Concertina&Squeezbox" used quite a few of my images in the late 80's and early 90's. It's always nice to have material published, and to be able to share it with a wider audience.

I sometimes wonder, with all the recording and photography, how I also managed to play and teach at some of these events. But then I believe it is important to document what is happening in a sphere of activity (so much easier now digital cameras and recorders are in common use). This was brought home as early as 1986, when the very talented Nigel Chippindale died, and Ralph Jordan rang around a lot of people who might have recordings, in order to put together a cassette.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter

It's wonderful that you took the time to record and document various concertina folk over that 10 year period. Such archive material will be of immense use to present and future historians, I have no doubt. BTW, I saw Ralphy (Jordan) at the Islington Folk Club last thursday, where, by coincidence he was doing some recording himself of the floor spots, including the Angel Band that I play in. We had a bit of a chat and as I bump into him from time to time, I'll remember you to him next time I see him.

Chris

Such archive material will be of immense use to present and future historians, I have no doubt.

Hi Chris,

The thing is, we may never know. So, I'd always say "If in doubt, record it", and let future generations be the judge of its true value. If only we could have had archive material from 100/150 years ago; we might have been staggered by the ability of that generation of musicians.

Regards,

Peter.

PS - thanks for the comment re. Ralph. I've not been to any Folk Clubs for about 7/8 years, and have no plans to do so. Therefore, my chances of meeting up with old friends are not high.

I really enjoy the photos, if there are more of any quality, by all means please post them. It's my way of soaking up as much of the "squeezebox culture" as I can from the comfort of my chair...

Say, speaking of Nigel Chippendale, are there recordings of him or ERIC about that can be acquired? The bit on Anglo Intntl. Knocked my socks off!

Thanks for sharing,

Robert

Say, speaking of Nigel Chippendale, are there recordings of him or ERIC about that can be acquired? The bit on Anglo Intntl. Knocked my socks off!

Hi Robert,

Yes, Nigel was an excellent player, taken from us at far too young an age (cancer). Whilst he was in hospital, I recall receiving one letter from him, and I know that he wrote to many other contacts on the Folk scene. Nigel was also a prolific tune writer (some written from his hospital bed), and a book of his tunes was published after his death.

I have several memories of Nigel, but an on-going one is the fact that during his time at Hobgoblin Music, he sold me the Wheatstone Anglo which has been my main instrument ever since.

Nigel was a true multi-instrumentalist. As a rough guide, if you could squeeze it, blow it, pluck/bow it, or hit it, then Nigel was able to play tunes on it! I saw him perform on far too few occasions, but I did have the pleasure of booking him at Croydon Folksong Club during my short period as organiser, and also his band, Eric, for a private function in the same venue.

As to recordings, Alan Day and Ralph Jordan are the most likely to know. I've taken a look at the Members List, but don't see Ralph's name, although I've spotted him on Mudcat on the few occasions that I've visited that site.

Regards,

Peter.

I have a cassette titled "Nigel Chippendale out-takes" that I think was put together by Ralph and released shortly after Nigel died. I don't know whether it was ever sold as a CD.

Not to my knowledge, Robin. I've had a listen, again, this afternoon; some good playing and some fun items!

Regards,

Peter.

More photos, I hope!

Hi Robert,

Like this? Both taken at Sidmouth Folk Festival.

We could have a Caption Competition (no prize!) to see who gets closest to my captions.

Regards,

Peter.

post-1710-1201889271_thumb.jpg

post-1710-1201889290_thumb.jpg

Certianly; just like that along with others.

It is interesting to compare the two parallel but different journies into the traditional past the British and Americans took together.

Whilst you all seemed to be digging into the English and Irish traditional material, we seemed to be delving into jazz and the blues and their shirt-tail relative, country and western, by way of bluegrass.

I guess that rock n' roll swept it all up into the same pan and ran away with it all, for a while, at least.

Listening to the current offerings on the radio, it looks like there's not much left to say in rock; hip-hop has done it in the eye, and we are in a low point for a while. So it goes.

Nice to know that the old songs and tunes are still there to bring us back home.

As for the caption contest, the winner should recieve a Solid Tin, Gold-plated, Genuine Intangible No-Prize! <_<

(P. Trimming, Judge)

Keep up the good work.

Robert

I have a cassette titled "Nigel Chippendale out-takes" that I think was put together by Ralph and released shortly after Nigel died. I don't know whether it was ever sold as a CD.

Not to my knowledge, Robin. I've had a listen, again, this afternoon; some good playing and some fun items!

Regards,

Peter.

Next time I see Ralph, I'll ask him about the Nigel Chippendale cassette and post a reply here.

Chris