Baritone Concertina

Galley Wench

I have been looking at this baritone concertina on ebay and wondered if any of you can advise me regarding its value and weather or not it would make a good addition to my Aeola

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=007

Cheers

Eh Up Wench ! ;)

A very nice looking concertina .... Andy Norman is certainly a fine restorer.

I am always a little wary of 'valuations' from the repairers and dealers as these are often sought by the owner for Insurance purposes but quoted to support an asking price ... insurance valuations are always significantly higher than current market value. Without the benefit of seeing and inspecting the instrument It does seem, to me at least, to be a bit on the expensive side at this price and it may pay to have a chat with Chris Algar of Barleycorn concertinas to get an idea of what he has in stock and what his prices are. A phone call to Andy Norman regarding the instrument may be a good idea too.

I am not on comission from Chris, but rather I am thinking that this is a lot of money to shell out without having a good look at what is available in the market.

If you are thinking about spending that sort of money, I would strongly recommend a trip to Bradford to see, and more importantly, play, this instrument and would also suggest that you have a run down to Stoke-on-Trent to compare with instruments Chris may have to offer.

Being strictly Anglophile I can't offer much advice about its suitability for your playing or how it would compare to your aeola ..... Now a nice F/C Baritone Anglo ... I could do with one of those ... :lol:

Regards and good luck

Dave

Edited by Dave Prebble

I have been looking at this baritone concertina on ebay and wondered if any of you can advise me regarding its value and weather or not it would make a good addition to my Aeola

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=007

Cheers

I'd echo Dave's comments about trying this out and seeing what Chris A has to offer.

Having bought a baritone EC from Chris about a year ago, the price asked for this fully restored instrument is reasonable if, and only if, you like it after playing it and it will do what you want a baritone to do.

Some soft toned baritones are lovely for song accompaniment, but you might want a brighter sound for band work. It's a case of horses for courses and only a trial will tell you if it's right for you.

I know you are both right. You know what its like - you see and you want - no in fact you convince yourself you need! I do however need another concertina as I am playing in a band and whilst I have a couple of trebles they are not as responsive as the Aoela (so once again you are right I need to try them out) so I am looking for something that I can use if it goes in for repair but will also add something different and I thought this Baritone might just do that. I did get in touch with Chris last month and he appears to have some suitable concertinas so I really must make the effort to have a drive down to see what he has. I did get my Aeola from him and it is wonderful. :P

Cheers

I know you are both right. You know what its like - you see and you want - no in fact you convince yourself you need! I do however need another concertina as I am playing in a band and whilst I have a couple of trebles they are not as responsive as the Aoela (so once again you are right I need to try them out) so I am looking for something that I can use if it goes in for repair but will also add something different and I thought this Baritone might just do that. I did get in touch with Chris last month and he appears to have some suitable concertinas so I really must make the effort to have a drive down to see what he has. I did get my Aeola from him and it is wonderful. :P

Cheers

Yes, I certainly know what it's like. You get all excited so what you are looking at morphs into what you really want, then some boring voice says, 'are you sure, you'd better look at others and compare...etc.'

I have to say I love the pitch of the baritone and playing it in a band setting, as well as when accompanying a friend who plays anglo.

How many concertinas does a concertina player 'need'?

Answer: Just one more!