Novice Seeks Used Concertina Advise

vince

:unsure: Concertina music fan wishing to learn to play. I do not play any other instument or read music at this time but feel I can learn both with time and practice. From what I have already read, I would like to find a good 20 button concertina to begin. Is there a tutorial book for beginners that could be recomended? Are there any tutors located in Southwest Florida? If anyone can point me in the right direction to purchase, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any and all information. Vince "]

Vince,

You should contact Daniel Bradbury who posts on this forum. (Do a search for his posts and then click his name in the upper left and then send him a message via concertina.net) Daniel is in the Tampa area. He is very knowledgeable, familiar with a number of anglo styles and can get you pointed in the right direction.

Recommendations for tutors will depend somewhat on what type of music you would like to play. Cnet's own Alan Day has a free tutor with a solid approach to playing anglo in the english style. Visit Alan's website using similar technique as described above.

I have a wonderful 20b Jones and a strong 20b Lachenal either of which is available for sale.

Good luck. Enjoy the adventure.

Greg

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Vince, personally I would not recommend you to start with a 20 button instrument. You will very soon miss certain notes, especially for the key of D major in which many Irish tunes are played. Save a little longer and get yourself a 30-button instrument. I know I was once tempted to buy a 20=button, and I am glad I didn't.