Touring The Sessions Of Ireland?

(quote:

Seriously - In Dublin city, The Cobblestone pub in Smithfield is definitely worth a look. High quality music there almost ever night. And not far from there is a pub called Hughes on Chancery Street. Again very good music nightly. Micheal O Raghallaigh (spelling?!) plays in Hughes pretty regularly too. )

Sessions in Dublin have become rare indeed.

I've been to the Cobblestone (where Mairead Hurley was playing, she's an all ireland champ) and Hughes for the last two years. It's near Four Courts.

And to O'Donehue's near St Stephens Green. (keep an eye on the banjo-tinaplayer from UK with the Polish name)

Enjoy

Dirk, Flanders, Belgium

Although not technically B&Bs, you might consider THe Ashling Hotel at Parkgate Street or Jury's Hotel at Christchurch. I think Jury's do cut rates and staying there will leave you a couple of hundred yards from Hughes' and opposite the impressive Christchurch cathredal. Admittedly whilst the walk there will be handy being downhill, when coming back you will hooving it up hill. But sure if you are full of pints you mightn't notice I'd say at that time of year, you will get bed and board in either of these hotels for a little more than you will pay for B&B and The Ashling has the advantage of having a restaurant and is on the tram line to and from Hughes'

Seriously - In Dublin city, The Cobblestone pub in Smithfield is definitely worth a look. High quality music there almost ever night.

Indeed... last time I was there I had the good fortune to witness yourself and Michelle O'Brien play tunes and sounding great. One of the highlights of that trip for me.

I think that may have been the last time I had a session :(

Life gets in the way eh?

With regard to the car. Book online and you can get very reasonable insurance. Make sure you're getting an SCDW (super collision damage waiver). Then you can all but torch the car in the rental lot before handing back the keys and they won't charge you a penny.

My unhappy rental car experience came in spite of doing everything suggested above. I booked online through Hertz, and I purchased the super collision damage waiver at that time. When I picked up the car at Shannon, they told me the existing dents and scratches in the car didn't matter, since I had SCDW and anything that happened to the car wouldn't cost me.

You can imagine my surprise and outrage when, after the tire failed, the Hertz telephone assistance line told me that replacing it would be my responsibility.

Sure enough, the SCDW form did say that wheel and tire damage was excluded.

Perhaps other companies' SCDWs don't have this loophole. Next time I go, I'll look beyond Hertz.

I know that only certain Mastercards, and Visa do cover the insurance waiver ...

If anyone can identify a U.S. credit card that currently provides rental-car coverage in Ireland, please tell us which bank it's from ... I'd like to get one! The information I've seen indicates that both Visa and Mastercard have eliminated this coverage for cards of all types.

For Visa, see here ("No benefit is provided for motor vehicles rented in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland, or Northern Ireland.")

For Mastercard, see here ("Effective September 1, 2006, US consumer cardholders no longer have core CDW coverage in Ireland, Israel, or Jamaica.")

That's true actually about the tire damage. Though I generally though that was related to people acting the maggot in rental cars, popping clutches and burning tires out etc. Didn't think they'd sting you for punctures and the like.

I rent cars fairly regularly in Ireland and Europe and haven't had a problem yet, thank God. The company is called nova car rental (google it), and they're like a broker and get the cheapest quote (or at least profess to). -I'd recommend em anyway.