Who Made This?

chris

Hi

I see this concertina (ebay 130169999324) advertised as a 'Wheatstone' however its not a fret pattern that I recognise-doesn't mean it isn't a Wheatstone tho, but it interests me as it is the only concertina, other than my Joseph Scates that I've seen with that particular action. So I'm interested to know - is it really a Wheatstone or is it something else? Theo Gibbs has said, in the past, that he has seen a Rock Chidley with this action and Dave Prebble has seen a Nickolds with the same action.

The year the seller quoted as a Wheatstone would tie in with the age of my Scates :blink:

chris (hoping for enlightenment)

Dear Chris,

I am the seller of the aforementioned concertina and would be happy to answer any questions that you may have. According to all the info I have found on concertinas, I found in the "Wheatstone Ledgers" and the dates that correspond to our unit was between March 1851 to March 1854... There were seven listings for this serial number. Also on the label is "By Her Majesty's letters patent C.Wheatstone, inventor, 20,Conduit St. Regent St. London" The serial number on the opposite side is 3162. I have pictures that I can send you if you are interested. I hope that this information helps. We are not historical experts however, we did do research and involving what we have. I do know that the family that this came from belonged to the great grandfather who lived during this time frame.

Hi john m

thanks for the reply. as I said in my posting it was the action that interested me as I had only heard of 2 other makers who used that particular action besides Joseph Scates. As I said it is not a fret pattern that I recognised for a Wheatstone (not that I've seen all the patterns that they used) and I was, therefore curious as to whether it actually was a Wheatstone. The dates tie in with my Scates (1851) and this may indicate that my Scates was actually a rebadged Wheatstone-not uncommon ;) If poss I would love to see more photos.

chris

To Chris and others, I just recieved an email about the "iffy" buttons. All the buttons produce a note both in and out. Some of the buttons do not seat always and remain in the up positions. There is a missing wood scroll leaf on the label end plate. Also, the leather thumb straps are very worn and the leather handle on the case is missing. The wear is the result of three generations of use. John M