Incognito Anglo

groeswenphil

Hi Group,

I've a South African 40 button Anglo that I'm thinking about selling.

It's about 25 years old. I bought it from Marcus Butler. At the time, he had two for sale. One had a huge white Hohner badge across one of the ends, the other carried no marks at all. I bought the unmarked one.

I believe that it was imported by Hohner music from South Africa.

It is quite unlike any other Hohner concertina that you'll ever come across.

It's amazingly well built........really strong and sturdy.

IMG_1017.JPG

Thing is, I bought myself a new G/D Marcus about a year ago. I play for the local Morris, so G/D appears much easier for me. As a result, I haven't touched this South African Anglo for some time.

It's a pity leaving it to languish in a cupboard. It has so much to offer. It could suite somebody who wanted the versatility that 40 buttons has to offer.......so many notes available both on push and pull. Strangely, it could be a great instrument for a beginner as it is so well built. I believe that it has accordian type reeds set in their own chambers, much like a melodeon.

I can't imagine getting much for the instrument though as it carries no manufacturers details at all.

I'm wondering about how much would I expect for the instrument........or should I just put it back in the cupboard until grandchildren arrive?

Phil Edwards

Hi Group,

I've a South African 40 button Anglo that I'm thinking about selling.

It's about 25 years old. I bought it from Marcus Butler. At the time, he had two for sale. One had a huge white Hohner badge across one of the ends, the other carried no marks at all. I bought the unmarked one.

I believe that it was imported by Hohner music from South Africa.

It is quite unlike any other Hohner concertina that you'll ever come across.

It's amazingly well built........really strong and sturdy.

IMG_1017.JPG

Thing is, I bought myself a new G/D Marcus about a year ago. I play for the local Morris, so G/D appears much easier for me. As a result, I haven't touched this South African Anglo for some time.

It's a pity leaving it to languish in a cupboard. It has so much to offer. It could suite somebody who wanted the versatility that 40 buttons has to offer.......so many notes available both on push and pull. Strangely, it could be a great instrument for a beginner as it is so well built. I believe that it has accordian type reeds set in their own chambers, much like a melodeon.

I can't imagine getting much for the instrument though as it carries no manufacturers details at all.

I'm wondering about how much would I expect for the instrument........or should I just put it back in the cupboard until grandchildren arrive?

Phil Edwards

I'd be interested in seeing some more pictures of this concertina. Could you post a straight-on pic of both ends and a pic of the bellows extended? Do you have a case for it? Would a standard Lachenal (wooden) case be large enough to house it? Kerry F

I'd be interested in seeing some more pictures of this concertina. Could you post a straight-on pic of both ends and a pic of the bellows extended? Do you have a case for it? Would a standard Lachenal (wooden) case be large enough to house it? Kerry F

I'll try to do that as soon as possible.

It does have a case........actually a really strong one with a plush lining.

The bellows has Lachenal papers fitted to it.......they look rather nice, but I suppose they could be taken off if anybody prefers nudity.

All the best,

Phil

Did a bit more digging....turns out George was correct. It is a Bastari....not South African at all. Apparently he made a few 40 button Anglos for Hohner some years ago.

I'm still wondering whether it would be worth putting it onto Ebay or not?

All the best,

Phil