A Self Teaching Method

stevejay

I haven't had much to say lately, but this is something that I realized help me make great strides forward

A small sony digital voice recorder. So convenient and painless

Advantages-

*I can conveniently record and listen back to the songs I know

*I can explain the "tricky parts" to myself for future reference

*Can use the music to record, then quickly put itaway, never really needing to refer to it again

* I can pick the tempo to learn which is comfortable

*SOOO much better than notecards to think of songs to play

*can categorize songs, but I don't do that

*I can bring it to group jam and not freak out about remebering how a song starts... a few notes and I'm in the zone :)

*If I'm short on time, I just play along, if not, I add 1 or 2 to the playlist It's FUN

Bottom line- I got better over a couple of weeks

Hope this helps. the unit I use is a tiny ICD-p210 sony, fairly cheap voice recorder, but it does the job. Not high fidelity, but suits the purpose

Thats it. My .02% of a dollar

Steve

This is a great idea. As a slight alternative, many MP3 players these days seem to have a voice recorder built in--I use mine occasionally for such a purpose, and it can be in equal parts enlightening and depressing. I've found it particularly good for getting the feel of a piece and not focussing exclusively on getting the correct notes in the correct order.

Not sure what you mean here Steve--do you play the songs in the order in which they come up on the recorder?

This is a great idea. As a slight alternative, many MP3 players these days seem to have a voice recorder built in--I use mine occasionally for such a purpose, and it can be in equal parts enlightening and depressing. I've found it particularly good for getting the feel of a piece and not focussing exclusively on getting the correct notes in the correct order.

Not sure what you mean here Steve--do you play the songs in the order in which they come up on the recorder?

I have the songs written down by number- I can simply forward to the song I want to hear, or just play them in order from any number desired. Instant practice session, no muss, no fuss

somtimes simplicity is key, we all have time constraints in one form or another. Some people used paper index cards to remind themselves of songs they know, but way too much work for me.