Bandoneon

I don’t know that I can add anything of value to this thread, but I’ll take a poke at it.

I spent several hours with Bertram Levy last Sunday and he spoke at length about the bandoneon in Argentina and its current popularity (or lack of it) in the world. As some of you may know, Bertram embraced the instrument some years ago and now calls Buenos Aires his “second home,” spending much of his time there.

While we started by talking of concertinas, the topic eventually shifted and he spent some time demonstrating tangos on his bandoneon, explained the layout of the buttons and showed me various fingering patterns. With the button layout used in Argentina, it’s well suited as a home for the tango and what a voice the instrument had!

Two things come to mind that might be of interest to those following this thread. First, Bertram commented that compared to Anglos the internals of bandoneons were quite different, using simple wooden levers and large plate mounted reeds. No doubt this is no revelation to those that know the instrument, but I was surprised when he commented that while these aging instruments sometimes require service, he knew a quality repairer in Argentina that would “completely rebuild the internals” of one for $350 and have it done in just a few days. If only such were the case for concertinas…

Second, when asked why he thought more people weren’t playing the instrument today and why its popularity didn’t grow, he said rather pointedly that it was too difficult to learn and most didn’t have the patience and inclination to devote to it. I could understand that when he started explaining the button layout and locations of 1st, 3rd and 10th tones used in chording - my eyes started glazing over. Not from boredom, rather the result of the complexity of the layout and fingering used to take advantage of it all.

he knew a quality repairer in Argentina that would “completely rebuild the internals” of one for $350 and have it done in just a few days.
The price is not necessarily a surprise to me-- I imagine labor is less expensive there. The duration is a surprise, though. Maybe their definition of “completely rebuild the internals” is different from mine.
he said rather pointedly that it was too difficult to learn and most didn’t have the patience and inclination to devote to it.
I think maybe one of the advantages (in terms of popularity) the Chemnitzer has in this regard is that many players don't expect to play more than polkas in a few keys with oompah bass. Tango requires more coordination, dynamics and more complex rhythm. Although bandoneons have a greater range than Chemnitzers, the layouts are still very similar-- I switch back and forth without a whole lot of difficulty.
I could understand that when he started explaining the button layout and locations of 1st, 3rd and 10th tones used in chording - my eyes started glazing over. Not from boredom, rather the result of the complexity of the layout and fingering used to take advantage of it all.
If you try to look for the logic, it will seem complex. Just learn where the notes are by rote.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know how it's any easier to locate an elderly retired farmer or mechanic playing for his own enjoyment in the age of the internet than it was in the age of the Pony Express.
Sales stats? Manufacture orders or backlogs. Number of makers quantity of instruments as compared to last decade or two?

Number of events where Chemnitzer is presented as compared to Accordion events?

How about asking the kids on MySpace whether they have a "crazy uncle" who plays a "weird squeezebox"? Then you could ask for details from those who say "yes". ;)

I don't know how it's any easier to locate an elderly retired farmer or mechanic playing for his own enjoyment in the age of the internet than it was in the age of the Pony Express.
Sales stats? Manufacture orders or backlogs. Number of makers quantity of instruments as compared to last decade or two?

Number of events where Chemnitzer is presented as compared to Accordion events?

How about asking the kids on MySpace whether they have a "crazy uncle" who plays a "weird squeezebox"? Then you could ask for details from those who say "yes". ;)

Lately bandoneons made it into the mainstream. Esp. with Forever Tango show. Never liked the dancing part, but the orchestra is outstanding, in my opinion. So at least in San Francisco Bandoneon is known. In Golden Gate Park there used to be some public tango lessons with bandoneon recordings blasting away.

And Piano Accordion is "official instrument" of San Francisco (because of Guerrini Bros, who perfected PA in San Francisco somewhere in 1911). However, neither bandoneon, nor PA can be easily found around the City. They're there, but you have to know where to go. The music and the image are popular enough, few players though.