Financially, Multiple 20 Key Anglos Or 1 38 Key?

All,

I have noticed that 20 Key Lachenals are available at prices from GBP 300 to 450. How many, and in which key combinations, would make financial sense if I were to compare costs of several versus the range of play of just one 38 key Jeffries. In addition, with multiple 20 key Anglos, the fingering is really very simple - just swap the box and squeeze! (or de-squeeze). And I CAN locate 20 key Lachenals to purchase, where seeking a 38 key Jeffries is much like making one's eyebrows touch - afterwards you wonder if it was worth the effort.

Tell me I am mistaken!

Del

It really depends on what kind of playing you do - or think you want to do. Having 30+ keys on an anglo really does give you an awful lot more musical scope - particularly in terms of widening possibilities when voicing chords; it isn't just being able to play in different keys (in fact on my 36 key G/D box I rarely play in anything other than G - but make a lot of use of the extra buttons I have).

I do enjoy playing 20-key boxes, and admittedly have three of them (C/G, G/D and D/A) in various states of (dis)repair - but they're very different beasts from larger anglos; given the choice I'd much rather keep a single larger box than multiple smaller ones.

Edited by stuart estell

Del,

You are mistaken!

(I will assume you expect some elaboration.)

I am actually a fan of the well set up 20b. They are light, which a Jeffries is not. But after that consideration I'd be hard pressed to advocate a chattering gaggle of Lachenals to one smooth playing and sounding Jeffries!

It is a bit early in the morning for me to contemplate how many different 20 button instruments in different tunings you would need to cover most common keys and modes (I'm sure m3838 is making "notes" and will soon have a reply!) but for argument's sake say you could find or responsibly retune or refit to have top notch 20b instruments in:

D/A; C/G; Bb/F; A/E; Ab/Eb and G/D

This would give you access to most common major keys and modal minors used in most folk music along with the flat keys to play with some favorite piano keys and band instruments.

Assuming you could assemble (find) all these instruments and you paid an average price of $650.00 each for solid working examples the tab would be about $4000.00

Pros: You have saved $3000.00 to $4000.00

Your G/D can go where few C/Gs can go

You will use the same finger patterns in different keys

Cons: You will walk into a session with a small trunk of concertinas

Unless you get exceptional 20b instruments you will be hard pressed to be heard

There will be three times as many springs and pads to replace

Six concertinas will be much more difficult to hide from the wife than one nice instrument

At the end of the day you will not be hearing that distictive Jeffries sound or enjoying the

response of a quality instrument.

In closing (I need to go tune someone's concertina) I agree with what might be your unstated premise that we end up paying more and more for smaller and smaller increases in an instrument's quality beyond a certain point. It's a personal decision concerning the allocation of one's resources.

I might add that you could also buy a nice Kennsington or nearly two Tedrows for the $4000.00 we theoretically just spent on the six Lachenals. Or be 2/3 of the way to a Carroll....

Choices.

Regards,

Greg

Your G/D can go where few C/Gs can go

And whose C/G is that? In the sessions my C/G goes to, it is the G/D players that pull a face or reach for their other box, whenever the key ventures into A, C or F.

Does playing G/D inhibit the will to play outside these keys?

Why bother with a pair of 20 key boxes when you might have to swap in mid-tune?

For the price, you probably can't go wrong with one of the new Rochelle 30 keys for a couple of hundred quid.

Geoff,

No offense meant on the "Go where no C/G can go". I was only indicating that in G with a G/D 20b he'd have a few low accompany notes on the left unavailable on a C/G. Ablility to reach "warp drive" and "explore new concertina worlds" will vary from player to player.

May your C/G live long and prosper!

Greg

(I'm sure m3838 is making "notes" and will soon have a reply!)

Huh?

Who's calling Me?

OH, OK:

Ah-hmm.

If diatonic push/pull single voice Anglo is definitely what you want, the idea of having 2 20b (G/D and C/G) ready to be swapped is a good one.

If you go to where people play in C/F or Eb - take those instruments, no need to carry more than necessary.

If you ask "what's the key?" and it annoys people, just leave. No need to be where jerks are.

I myself am going down the wide and paved road to hell. I've placed an order for Morse Albion. Sick and tired of fiddling with the keys, dropping tunes, skipping chords and all of the beauties of playing Anlgo (though I like the sound of Anglo better, so Jody and others, please keep on doing the hard work, thanks).

P.S.

I personally think there is nothing like small and light 20 button Lachenal with an attitude, be it clackety or of less quality than arguable Jeffries (which honk I have difficulties with).