Lachenal 166946

bethinderby

I have a Lachenal, serial No. 166946. It has very ornately carved ends, 20 buttons, I reckon it is rosewood, is in a matching wooden box (which has lost one of the six panels from the lid and has no key). Bellows are a tiny bit wheezy, but most of the keys seem to work. It says Steel Reeds and English Make on it.

The other thing I know about it is that my friend brought it back from Australia (or was it New Zealand? I can find out if it matters) so it has had a merry journey round the world once, so far....And in the fabric at the top and bottom of the case, an imprint of a star of david is apparent... is this normal, or is this specific to this one?

I have only just realised that it is not just a peice of old junk (sorry! well I always thought it was a rather lovely little thing! just didn't know quite how lovely til now), and might make someone a very nice instrument. I notice a few accordions on ebay from the same manufacturer and then did a bit of web research, so I have the general history of Lachenal, but I thought this looks like a nice place full of enthusiasts and knowledgable people....

So, would anyone like to tell me more about it? I can post an image if that helps. I suppose I'd like to know if it is a common one, or not, and if it may need restoring at all, and if I can do anything to look after it myself. Anything you think I should know?

thanks very much folks

Bethinderby

Hello Bethinderby,

A picture or two would indeed be worth a thousand words.

Unless you have a very unusual 20b Lachenal it will have a reconditioned value (Repadded, revalved and tuned, general clean up, bellows in good playing shape) of between 200 to 300 GBP.

The cost of effecting these repairs, assuming not too much bellows work has to be done, would probably be between 100 to 125 GBP.

So the economics may make it most valuable if you have it fixed up and learn to play it yourself!

20b Lachenals can run the gamet of just OK to quite nice as far as playing instruments. The 20b will limit your flexibility to play in different keys but the instruments are lightweight, portable and have are proven technology (Many are playing and have been played for 100 years and even abused instruments can be brought back from near death to look forward to another 100 years or more of sevicable use!)

Pictures, please!

Good luck,

Greg