What Row Do You Usually Play?

Susanne

Hi folks!

As you know I just recently bought a Rochelle anglo C/G. Now that I've started learning to play some, I have a question. Do you usually play on the G row when you play in the key of G? Or do you play on the C row and use special buttons (accidentials and on the G row) for the missing notes? I think the notes on the G row, especially on the right side, are so squeaky and high, they don't sound good at all. Or do most concertina players play them, just that I haven't thought of it?

Hi folks!

As you know I just recently bought a Rochelle anglo C/G. Now that I've started learning to play some, I have a question. Do you usually play on the G row when you play in the key of G? Or do you play on the C row and use special buttons (accidentials and on the G row) for the missing notes? I think the notes on the G row, especially on the right side, are so squeaky and high, they don't sound good at all. Or do most concertina players play them, just that I haven't thought of it?

I'm a beginner and learning to play all rows. My basic G scale starts on the left hand c row top button push and ends on g row right hand top button push.

Well I think alot of people's answers will tend to revolve around what sort of music they play. I play Irish Music, and I tend to play across the rows for most tunes, but some players play in an older style where most tunes are played from the G row and you go off the row for notes not available on the G row. Chris Droney and I believe Frank Edgley play that older style. Most Irish tunes though don't go above the b played with middle finger on the right hand of the G row. As a result it is not my favored style since most tunes are played mostly on the left hand (but sounds great, distinctive, and definitely traditional when done well :)). Box players who switch to concertina (at least B/C players) tend to play from the C row and go off the row for the extra notes. I came from the Box but had this habit broken fairly early on when Dana Johnson suggested that most of the Kesh Jig could be played with my index fingers.

Hope this helps.

--

Bill