Concertina Case

Rhomylly

I'm looking for a good second-hand case for my Wheatstone student English.

Rhomylly,

For my Hohner D-30 (30b Anglo) I used an OLD make-up case. The kind that has the plywood walls, rather than the modern day, cardboard walls. I think it cost me $12 and I added a 2" styroform block (glued) to the bottom, cut out to my concertina's exact size. It's kept my concertina safe & sound for nearly 5 years and thousands of miles of travel! Oh, and I repapered the inside too.

I'll second the luggage make up case idea. My wife came up with one of those somewhere and I recognized it immediately as a concertina case, if a bit extra long. Try thrift stores, which is where my favorite alternate case came from. Some camera "gadget bags" will nicely accomodate a concertina and my wife brought this one home also. She paid under a dollar for it and it had a flash unit in it that I sold on Ebay for $75. This was ridiculously lucky, of course, but I'll tell you why I would pay full price for one of these. It can be crushed but it is fairly rigid with foam padding built into it and there are additional padded dividers inside that can be arranged in different ways and I use those to protect the instrument further. The other important thing is the shoulder strap. I go out carrying several instrument cases and that hard little cube with a handle on top is pretty awkward. This camera bag offers enough protection from the usual bumping around against other cases in the car or whatever. Who would load valuable instruments with unstable heavy crushing objects anyway? Also, there are other handy pockets on it.

That being said, if you carry your concertina into bad neighborhoods maybe a plywood cube that can be used as a weapon is, after all, a better idea.

EM