In Tune?

... the accordions and melodeons this summer. Maybe ... were flat too?

Highly unlikely, in fact the way that the tremolo of accordions is achieved, with one reed tuned sharper, they tend to sound sharp to other musicians. Which could mean that your concertina might sound flat in comparison with one ...

Probably the best test would be to check the notes of your concertina against an electronic tuner that is calibrated to A=440, and if it isn't, or if it is but not in tune with itself, then your best course of action is to get it tuned.

Dana,

Which begs the question...why do we keep playing in equal temperament when it sounds out of tune both with itself and with our main other musicians? When you cannot beat them, another approach might be to join them, especially if you chord a lot.

Of course, the big weakness in a 'just' approach is that keys other than C and G will not sound very good on that instrument....but then you could always buy another anglo or two to cure that, as most long-time anglo players will eventually do anyway for other reasons. Then of course there is the problem that guitars are stuck in equal temperament as well...but they are best dispensed with anyway! :lol:

This is not an approach an Irish style player might fancy, but if playing in a harmonic style it has some benefits. I shall now run for cover, as I'm sure everyone will shudder at the thought of yet another 'temperament' thread. :o

I am not a fan of equal temperament. I doubt anyone really is, but it is so difficult to build many instruments with the ability to follow music wherever it goes. I've played some "Just tuned" concertinas and in the right keys they were a delight. If all music were to sound as sweet... Possibly we wouldn't appreciate the value of dissonance. Some of the most expressive and heart wrenchingly beautiful music I've heard has pulled notes deliberately out of tune. Still, equal temperament is not much more than a compromise. As such it has it's uses and it's failings.