Concertina With Scrimshaw Ends

Rhomylly,

I’ve not been by the forums for a week or two so may have missed related prior posts on this topic. I did a quick forum search but didn’t turn up anything that appeared to be of recent origin, so I’ll make a comment and hope I’m not horribly out of sync.

I doubt it’s the concertina you’re asking after, but I know of one 1920 era Wheatstone Anglo with scrimshaw ivory rails (palm bars) on the ends. A recent prior owner had an Alaskan native scrimshaw the image of a whale on material found in Alaska (after it had been suitably shaped to fit), and then replaced the stock wood rails with the carved material. My understanding was that it wasn’t legal for someone other than a tribal native to do the shaping/scrimshaw and sell the result.

I had the instrument in my possession for about five months last year, but I’m not certain if I took any photos of it. While it had a novel look, I didn’t think the scrimshaw fit the character of the instrument and had I elected to keep it, I would have replaced the carved rails with the original wood ones (which I believe were still available). Of course if I played sea shanties rather than Irish I might have had a different opinion as to its appearance.