Can You Help Indentify This Concertina?

Aboose

Hello,

This is my dad's concertina. We think it is from the 50's. My brother and I were wondering if anyone out there could help us identify it by the manufacturer and tell us what type of music we need to buy (a good beginning book preferably). We used to have a book but it has been lost over the years of no one doing anything with the instrument. The only markings are made in Italy. Thanks in advance if you can assist. URL below.

http://www.otterbein.edu/home/fac/annhprry/concertina.htm

Any of the commonly referred to Anglo Concertina instruction books should be able to get you started. From there, you should be able to play a great many tunes without the need for printed music. See the Concertina FAQ.

I cannot help on the particulars of the origins of your instrument, but the Italian Anglos are not known for high quality. It's a nice "knock-around" but you may find that it's not precisely in tune and that mechanical problems soon develop after playing it for a while (if they haven't already).

Any of the commonly referred to Anglo Concertina instruction books should be able to get you started. From there, you should be able to play a great many tunes without the need for printed music. See the Concertina FAQ.

I cannot help on the particulars of the origins of your instrument, but the Italian Anglos are not known for high quality. It's a nice "knock-around" but you may find that it's not precisely in tune and that mechanical problems soon develop after playing it for a while (if they haven't already).

Thanks for the info.

From your link, I assume you are in Westerville? If you are, the last time I checked Bluegrass Musician supply had several anglo starter books, and while the folks who work here won't know much about your instrument, they are extremely helpful. Just tell them Alan sent you down there for the books. The books should be in the back of the store underneath the banjo books shelf. Sometimes they also have some of the video/DVD instructionall material as well in stock. Again, good folks, locally owned, and extremely helpful.

Alan

I just noticed I didn't tell you where they are at. The shop is located on South High, a couple of blocks south of Greenlawn. If coming down I-70, just get off at the Greenlawn Exit, Turn left go sraight to High, turning Right. The store is on the left (East ) side of the road, and the sign has a big guitar on it.

Alan