Balfour's Concertinas

GOOD FOLKS: I am trying to locate the whereabouts of the following nineteenth-century Wheatstone concertinas (assuming that they're even alive):

4004, 4157, 4606, 11502, and 13149

all five instruments were either sold or rented to BALFOUR during the 1850s/60s. . . . .enquiries to the family have gone for naught. . . . .

any information will be generously acknowledged in a forthcoming article on which i'm working .................... Allan

. . . .guess no one has any of those instruments. . . . . .as i said. . . . .they may have had their last gasps squeezed out of them long ago . . .

allan,

I'd leave it a bit longer than that if I was you, before jumping to any conclusions. I think everybody's gone on holiday at the moment, seeing that nobody seems to be posting today! :unsure:

STEPHEN: leave it i will. . . . .there's no great rush. . . .and you're probably right about people being away. . . . . .

wonder if any of those instruments are among the four that he was supposed to have given to family members at the very end of his life. . . . . . .identifying the instruments is not of earthshaking importance. . . .but it would be nice to be able to say just what they were. . . . . .unfortunately, the ledgers shed no light on the matter. . . .which may, of course, imply that they were all trebles

we know that he played trios with another concertinist -- richard strutt (brother of the famous physicist john william strutt, who won the nobel prize for isolating argon) and with mary gladstone at the piano. . . .we also know that at one session they played through Beethoven piano trios. . . . .it would have been nice if they had a bass concertina to take the cello part. . . . . .they also played duets (two concertinas, with piano playing the orchestral part) from FIDELIO. . . .again, they would have needed something that could go below the treble's low "g". . . . .on the other hand, since it was a rather informal affair, one of the guys could simply have transposed up an octave when necessary..................allan