Locations Of Concertina Stores In Washington Or Oregon

can anyone tell me where I can find stores in Washington or Oregon which sell concertinas and, preferably, have a variety of instruments and know something about them? I need the information immediately as I am on a trip in the Pacific Northwest only for the next two weeks.

thanks.

msgbeorge

Hobgoblin in Oregon (about an hour from Portland)

A few stores in Seattle (research the web) - Petosa is one, and I remember visiting at least two more, but only accordions at the time.

A store in Spokane, where Wim Wakker keeps his stock for the US.

can anyone tell me where I can find stores in Washington or Oregon which sell concertinas and, preferably, have a variety of instruments and know something about them? I need the information immediately as I am on a trip in the Pacific Northwest only for the next two weeks.

thanks.

msgbeorge

as far as i know, there is nowhere in washington, though wim wakker does spend his summer holiday in spokane. lark in the morning (pike place market seattle) has a fairly good selection of overpriced english concertinas, but i don't think anyone there knows anything about them. petosas (u-district seattle) has a selection of new stagis but no vintage or high quality concertinas.

maybe you can persuade wim wakker to interrupt his holiday to meet with you.

i wasn't aware that there was a hobgoblin store in oregon. does anyone have an address or a web-site for this? the hobgoblin web-site only lists the minnesota store. i bought a new mail-order stagi from hobgoblin in 2000 and had to send it to bob tedrow to be fixed since it arrived fairly unplayable. but maybe others have had better experiences with hobgoblin.

i wasn't aware that there was a hobgoblin store in oregon. does anyone have an address or a web-site for this? the hobgoblin web-site only lists the minnesota store. i bought a new mail-order stagi from hobgoblin in 2000 and had to send it to bob tedrow to be fixed since it arrived fairly unplayable. but maybe others have had better experiences with hobgoblin.

Maybe it's Lark in the Moring.

Lark Retail Stores

San Francisco, CA • Seattle, WA • Mendocino, CA

The Shop is located in the South Arcade Building (map)

1411 First Avenue at the corner of Union and First next to the Pike Place Market.

The shop phone number is (206) 623-3440

Thanks

Leo

The last time I visited Petosa (about a year ago) their selection of Stagi concertinas was very thin, I think they had just one or two models in the store. I think they had a Wheatstone English too, but they made no attempt to promote the Wheatstone and didn't seem to know much about it. Accordions are their primary instrument and I have the impression they are going to drop concertinas as soon as they sell out their inventory.

The Pike Place Market (downtown Seattle) Lark in the Morning usually has a selection of three or four models of Stagi (includes both English and Anglo) and some even lower quality instruments (perhaps Chinese?). They also have a slim selection (maybe six) of Wheatstone and Lachenal instruments, but I've seen nothing in that section I'd want to own for the price they are asking. The last time I was in the store (about three months ago) they only had one Anglo in this section, an unplayable metal ended Lachenal they wanted $2,800 for. I can't say that the folks working in the store know much about concertinas.

If you are determined to put your hands on a concertina immediately the Lark store is the only place on the west side of Washington State I could recommend. I should qualify that comment though - I don't recommend that approach to concertina shopping unless you want one of their cheapest toy-quality models. If you're looking for a playable instrument of decent quality I recommend you read through the Concertina.net instrument section and then purchase something based on those recommendations.

Depending on where you live you may be closer to a good concertina source at home than in Washington/Oregon. Why are you determined to purchase in the Pacific Northwest and what level of quality are you seeking?