Blow The Man Down

bellowbelle

I've learned to play 'Blow The Man Down,' and online I find several sets of lyrics.

And yes, I looked at mudcat.org, too!

But...

What lyrics do YOU sing to this tune?

I found the tune in the 'Frank Butler' edition of the ICA newsletter. It's a well-known one, and fun to play (...and probably a better choice for me than 'Learn To Fly' by the Foo Fighters, heheh)....

What lyrics do YOU sing to this tune?...........................

I like this Canadian version with MIDI tune. Unfortunately you have to look under title on the left to get to it. I can't find a direct link to the page.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/audio/nfld/

This place has 6 versions of lyrics. I believe they refer to mudcat. Just scroll down

http://sniff.numachi.com/aidx/aidxB.html

Hope it's what you're looking for

post-1911-1153166503_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Leo

Edited to explain link

Edited by Leo

What lyrics do YOU sing to this tune?

Hi Wendy,

Back in the early 80's, I sang with a group called "The Shanty Crew", and we always used Stan Hugill's "Bible" as our reference work ("Shanties from the Seven Seas"). We sang with Stan a number of times, and he designed the group's sweatshirt. According to Chris Roche, he would accept no payment for this but said "make sure that I get a large one". Sadly missed.

Found this clip of Stan Hugill singing this particular song:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:KEEvI...t=clnk&cd=1

Regards,

Peter.

Leo, thanks, got some good lyics from that website. That's a great site!

Peter, I tried to open the link you posted but, maybe due to my own computer settings, I get a 'Not Found' message. I'll try it again tomorrow, and maybe with a bit of thought I'll find my way around it.

Hmm...I like this large font.

Edit added the next day, re 'That's a great site!':

Oops, I meant the first one, the Newfoundland one, but both are great. The Digital Trad site is one that I've seen before, but since the Newfoundland one is 'new-found land' to me, I had more to say, I guess!

Edited by bellowbelle

Peter, I tried to open the link you posted but, maybe due to my own computer settings, I get a 'Not Found' message. I'll try it again tomorrow, and maybe with a bit of thought I'll find my way around it.

I'll keep fingers crossed. If it fails, search the net with either "Stan Hugill" or "Smithsonian Global Sound", which is where I found it.

I'll keep fingers crossed. If it fails, search the net with either "Stan Hugill" or "Smithsonian Global Sound", which is where I found it.

Wow, what a voice he had! Loved it. I managed to play most of the clip -- my computer (dialup) doesn't always do the whole thing.

How I found a copy was to do a Google search using 'Stan Hugill Blow The Man Down Smithsonian' -- got me right to it.

Hmm, that's quite a nice site, too, the Smithsonian Global Sound one -- shall bookmark that!