Please Help

Hi, I play a small accordian and also keyboards...is the Anglo the way to go in terms of simplicity. I need a concertina that follows the scale without too much difficulties...any and all help will be appreciated...Thank You

vze248ba@verizon.net

Hi, I play a small accordian and also keyboards...is the Anglo the way to go in terms of simplicity. I need a concertina that follows the scale without too much difficulties...any and all help will be appreciated...Thank You

vze248ba@verizon.net

It's probably best if you read the Buyer's Guide which can be accessed from this site's home page and then, if possible, try a box for each of the systems (Anglo, English, Duet....) that interest you to see which one feels right.

For me if I'd used my head I'd probably have bought an English, but the first time I picked up an Anglo it was love at first squeeze :)

- W

Unfortunately, Billy, there is no easy answer to your question.

For some of us, who prefer a more "piano-like" layout (low notes on the left, higher notes on the right), the Anglo is the way to go. However, one must then get used to playing a different note depending on whether you're pressing or pulling the bellows.

For others, the "same note no matter what the bellows are doing" English is easier. There are also more accidentals on your average English. But the low notes are closer to the body and the higher notes are further away from the body.

Duet...I am not a duet player, but those folks are really dedicated!

Wish there was an easy answer, but it really depends on you, what kind of music you plan to play, and how your brain works.

vze248ba@verizon.net

Billy,

Alot will depend on what sort of accordion you play. If you already play a diatonic or an Irish Chromatic (essentially a Diatonic with half step tuning) then the Anglo will be pretty easy to pick up. If you play a piano accordion... well then it all depends on how long it takes to ge the hang of the in out nature of the instrument.

--

Bill

I got an Anglo... I don't exactly why! Thinking back it may have been because the scale was similar to a harmonica, which I could play. The Anglo comes easy to me, all you have to do is name a tune and so long as I know it, I can play it straight off... not with all the fancy chords the first time, if you understand. But I found it limiting in that, depending on the number of buttons, it may not be possible to make all chords.

So I recently got a Hayden Duet and am loving it! It's more versatile, in my opinion.

I was playing an accordion with the massive bass section... 120 basses. I did not 'identify' with it. Somehow, the 'ready made chords' and me din't really jibe.

The concertina allows you to make your own chords, from 2-note harmonies, or 3 or 4 note chords, per side - if that's what you want to do, altho, for me, the most I'll 'make' is a 3-note chord per side, sometimes 3 notes on each side - 6 notes in all - according to the particular song I'm playing.

I'd mention I'm not into reels and jigs... I play jazz standards and 'ballads' - songs like Solitude, Feelings, Morning of the Carnival, and so on.

The genre of music you want to play could be a determining factor in the choice of instrument you decide to choose. If I wish to play a simple folk song or a calypso ... I may use the Anglo. If I'm going to a song like 'All the things you are' ... I go straight to the Hayden.

Whatever... keep on squeezin' !

MC