Bandoeon Systems, Does Anyone Know The Difference

:wacko: Dear Concertina Fans I have been looking through variouse Bandoneon website to try and find out how the systems differ. But having looked for a bandoeon I have found I am more confused than ever. are there real differences in techniques between the 104, 128, 142, 144 tone style bisonoric Bandoneons. I am asking because I have the chance to buy several good instruments from Germany but What do I need, what can I play. If I learn a 142 can I then just move onto a 144 or play the earlier ones.

I did find a tutor for the Argentine model in English.

My repertoire would consist of Tango and classical mostly, maybe some sea shanties. I know all of the information is there but it is deciphering what I need that is the problem, as my knowledge of the bandoneon is very limited to begin with.

Thank you in advance for any information that you can give me.

Thank you in advance

Yours sincerely

Scott Dunstan Esq.

L. R. A. M

BAMus (HONS)

Ethnomusicologist

Edited by ScottLutePlayer

are there real differences in techniques between the 104, 128, 142, 144 tone style bisonoric Bandoneons?

The books for Argentine style playing will generally be based on the 142-tone (71-button) layout, or some of the smaller ones that are subsets of it (I have a 44-button model).

But beware: The 144-tone is not just a 142-tone with an extra button! It shares a good portion of the layout, but many keys were changed to standardize the arrangement.

Also beware: Although there are 104- and 128-tone instruments that are subsets of the 142-tone layout, I have seen 104- & 128-tone instruments that for sale as "bandoneons" that are really Chemnitzer, Karlsfelder, Scheffler, or other German concertina layouts that will only have about nine buttons each side in common with the bandoneon.

The basic techniqes for playing will be about the same, regardless.

Scott, you could contact the list member bandoneon-maker (Harry Geuns) who can certainly help you.

German Bandoneons: Most bandoneons you get in Germany are not sounding quite like the ones made for the south american market. For tango the 142 lay out is nearly a must, only some of the older models with less buttons have the same sound. Avoid 144 and 128 models, they were made for german music.

There are some other restorers and makers in Germany you could contact like Uwe Hartenhauer or Rocco Boness.

Nils

Avoid 144 and 128 models, they were made for german music.
If you're talking about sound rather than technique, the important thing to look for is voicing. I have seen double-reed octave-tuned instruments (what you need for Argentine tango) in any of the keyboard systems, they're just more common in the 142-tone keyboard. I have also seen triple- and quadruple-reed instruments in 142.

You are right, the voicing is the main difference, but there are other features in most bandonions made for the german market that make them sound different. You have to try them out.

Nils