Needed: Current Kid Tunes

Jim Besser

For an upcoming family dance, I'm interested in finding some currently popular kid tunes that can be adapted for dances.

My own kid is 22, so I'm sort of out of the loop. I have no clue if Raffi is still the under-10 heartthrob. Years ago, I threw "Baby Beluga" into a medley and the little dancers were delighted, but I have no idea what kids are listening to today.

Any parents of young kids out there?

For an upcoming family dance, I'm interested in finding some currently popular kid tunes that can be adapted for dances.

Any parents of young kids out there?

You are in the US, so anything Barney is cool for the very little ones. Eensy Weensy Spider, Little Rabbit Foo Foo, Yankee Doodle, Fais Do Do for le' Francois mon ami, Old King Cole, Three Little Fishies, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, La Cucaracha for los ninos, Wooden Heart for die Deutch kinder--just jazz them up a bit and maybe dance a little along with them!

Most kids will just dance to anything. You should have seen my little ones at school clapping and having a hard time staying in their seats when our ceilidh band came for an assembly last Thursday. 1000+ little ones, in the gymnatorium, with all the HS, K3, K4 and K5 huddled around us on the floor (there is about 300+ of them!). The adults and principals were even amazed, Amazing Grace made the gym teacher cry. We had a kid come up and sit in "The Scattering" on a toy set of pipes (teachers and his class thought he was really playing too!). I cheated and have been teaching my band drummers bodhran and spoons, so I had my studio really playing along! It was a hit and fun for all!!!

Good Luck!

Edited by pmmack

You are in the US, so anything Barney is cool for the very little ones. Eensy Weensy Spider, Little Rabbit Foo Foo, Yankee Doodle, Fais Do Do for le' Francois mon ami, Old King Cole, Three Little Fishies, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, La Cucaracha for los ninos, Wooden Heart for die Deutch kinder--just jazz them up a bit and maybe dance a little along with them!

Cool. Thanks. I guess things change more slowly in the kid music world than I expected; lots of those are ones we used to do at family dances 20 years ago. "B-I-N-G-O" also make a good dance tune kids used to recognize; maybe they still will. And "Pop Goes the Weasel" is timeless.

Thanks to those who suggested the Spongebob theme. A really boring tune, but I suppose it will delight some of the little rug rats out there, so we'll give it a try.