Steve Turner

I have just found Steve Turner's website which states that he has returned to the folk scene and is making a new fifth album, "The Whirligig of Time". He also has a page of upcoming gigs (in UK)

http://www.steve-turner.co.uk/

This is good news. I remember Steve from the early 80's, when he worked at Hobgoblin (their only shop was in Crawley, in those days) during the day, and was busy with club bookings in the evenings.

I wondered what happened to Steve; a welcome return.

Peter.

I have just found Steve Turner's website which states that he has returned to the folk scene and is making a new fifth album, "The Whirligig of Time". He also has a page of upcoming gigs (in UK)

http://www.steve-turner.co.uk/

Thanks for the link .. I'll be waiting for that new disc.

It was probably Steve Turner that started me playing concertina (in an indirect way!)

We put him up for the night when he did a gig at our local folk club (more than 25 years ago!!) and by the time he left my husband wanted to play english concertina (he'd dabbled with an anglo but it hadn't clicked).

He bought a Lachenal and did a little bit with it then eventually started on fiddle and finally found his instrument.

I got given the Lachenal and told to try it ... I've been hooked ever since

Chris J

Edited by spindizzy

• 2 years later...

Just to restart this thread

We went to see Steve last Sturday night at The Black Bull Ecclesfield Sheffield

A great night and his Cd The Whirligig of Time is finally out! on The Living Tradition label.

Great record he plays Concertina, Cittern and Mandoilin and sings beautifully as usual.

The Concertina is a big Wheatstone English Bass/baritone/Treble with some Anglo buttons to allow deep notes. He got it from a Salvation Army officer in Doncaster

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen Steve a few times in the south-east and attended his workshop on concertina song accompaniment at Tenterden last year. He's obviously a very good singer and player and always interesting to listen to, so I've been eagerly awaiting the release of this CD. The album is absolutely excellent - a great choice of material with just the right balance of accompaniment, including Martin Carthy on 'Sir Colvin' which is, well, very Carthyish (an observation, not a criticism). This is very much Steve's album, however, and includes his very impressive Handel piece.

Rik