Looking For The Title Of This Tune..

Henk van Aalten

I do not really remember where and from whom I learned this hornpipe. In the meantime I gave it the title "the Eiffel Hornpipe". The reason is that it popped up while I was on a very small camp-site in the Eiffel region in Germany at the borders of the Ruhr. At the other side of this small river there is a little village where every day at 07:00, 12:00 and 16:00 the churchbell chimes in a rhytm that perfectly fits this hornpipe.

So I very often played it together with the curchbell from the other side of the water. This year I will be back there again for a few days and I'm really looking forward to play the "Eiffel Hornpipe".

So back to the title of this topic: anyone knows the "real" title of the Eiffel Hornpipe?? :rolleyes:

Edited by Henk van Aalten

Guest Peter Laban

I know it in a different version as The Butcher's of Bristol, learned from the playing of piper Tommy Kearney. It was recorded on an ediphone cylinder durign the early part of the last century by another piper, Jem Byrne.

A version on the cocnertina can be found on Terry Bingham's recording, he probably has a different name for it. I have also heard various members of the McCarthy family play it, they may have recorded it.

Your version is somewhat off the beaten track but certainly closely related and can be a starting point for finding the name.

Edited by Peter Laban

I do not really remember where and from whom I learned this hornpipe. In the meantime I gave it the title "the Eiffel Hornpipe". The reason is that it popped up while I was on a very small camp-site in the Eiffel region in Germany at the borders of the Ruhr. At the other side of this small river there is a little village where every day at 07:00, 12:00 and 16:00 the churchbell chimes in a rhytm that perfectly fits this hornpipe.

So I very often played it together with the curchbell from the other side of the water. This year I will be back there again for a few days and I'm really looking forward to play the "Eiffel Hornpipe".

So back to the title of this topic: anyone knows the "real" title of the Eiffel Hornpipe?? :rolleyes:

I don't recognise this delightful tune.

So far as the "Butchers of Bristol" goes "The Fiddlers Companion" site at www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/BUT_BYR.htm indicates the following equivalent titles -

"BUTCHERS OF BRISTOL [1], THE. AKA and see “Bliven’s Favorite,” "Bobbing for Eels," "The Bottle of Punch," "By your leave, Larry Grogan," "Coppers and Brass [2]," “The County Limerick Buckhunt," "Finerty's Frolic," "Fishing for Eels," “Green Sleeves [3],” "Groom," "Hartigan's Fancy," “The Humors of Ennistymon [1],” "The Humours of Miltown [2],” "Ioc an Reicneail,” "Jackson's Bottle/Jug of Punch/Brandy," “The Jug of Punch [5],” "Larry Grogan('s) [1]," "The Lasses of Melrose," “Lasses of Melross,” "Little Fanny's Fancy," "Lynn's Favourite," "Lynny's Favourite," "The Old Man's Jig," "Pay the Reckoning," "Pingneacha Rua agus Pras," “Queen of the Rushes,” "The Waves of Tramore," “Willie Clancy’s.”

BUTCHERS OF BRISTOL [2], THE. AKA and see “Bealltaine,” “Five Miles from Town [2],” “Geary’s Hornpipe,” “Mullingar Races [2],” “Raven Through the Bog,” “Rover through the Bogs,” “Taylor's (Hornpipe).” Irish, Hornpipe.

That gives you rather a lot to check out!!!

Jake