Edeophone Leather Case

bazza

I have an edeophone number45263 there is a torn label in the lid of the leather case all that is left is the initials J.A.A running diagonallyand part of an address186&18 Manchester

Oldh,I pressume it is Manchester road Oldham,any idea who this dealer could be and also the date of the instrument,many thanks

That would be J.A. Astley, I have a post card of the Oldham Concertina Band posing outside his shop at 188, Manchester Street :

post-436-1128558634_thumb.jpg

And there is a c.1890 "Price List of Lachenal & Co.'s English Patent Concertinas" sold by him here on C.net.

Joseph Ambrose Astley was born in 1863, and was the leader of the Oldham Concertina Band.

Short of having the original receipt, it is impossible to be definitive about the date of a Lachenal. However, assuming that they started numbering (in their own right) at 6000 in the Autumn of 1858, and had reached (almost) 69000 by the time they closed down, around the Summer of 1933, then Lachenal's made an average of 840 Englishes per annum. So simply on statistics, 45263 should date from about the Spring of 1905, but that's only in theory ... :unsure:

(Edited to improve image.)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• 6 months later...
That would be J.A. Astley, I have a post card of the Oldham Concertina Band posing outside his shop at 188, Manchester Street :

post-436-1128558634_thumb.jpg

And there is a c.1890 "Price List of Lachenal & Co.'s English Patent Concertinas" sold by him here on C.net.

Joseph Ambrose Astley was born in 1863, and was the leader of the Oldham Concertina Band.

Short of having the original receipt, it is impossible to be definitive about the date of a Lachenal. However, assuming that they started numbering (in their own right) at 6000 in the Autumn of 1858, and had reached (almost) 69000 by the time they closed down, around the Summer of 1933, then Lachenal's made an average of 840 Englishes per annum. So simply on statistics, 45263 should date from about the Spring of 1905, but that's only in theory ... :unsure:

(Edited to improve image.)