The Brothers Webb (jojo And Ruté)

I claim to be no expert as regards the concertina or its history, but I maintain a free-access web site called Footlight Notes, which features reports and images relating to the theatre and popular entertainment from the 1850s to the 1920s. I thought that members of this disscussion forum might like to know that I have posted a modest page on the Brothers Webb. It includes a photograph (sadly, rather faded) of the brothers, taken in Germany about 1890, in which concertinas and other musical instruments are to be seen quite clearly. Should anyone have any comments, please don't hesite to contact me. John Culme (jculme@aol.com)

Dear John: You might wish to look at the following article: Richard Carlin, "The Fayre Four Sisters: Concertina Virtuosi," THE FREE-REED JOURNAL, iii (2001), 79-88. The sisters were the daughters of Joseph Webb, who was the JoJo clown in the brothers' act. In addition, to three photos of the sisters on stage, there is another photo --- certainly well known among concertinists --- of the Webb Brothers. Perhaps you'd like to add the photos of the sisters to your website. If so, you should be in touch with Richard Carlin, in whose personal collection the photos reside..............Allan