20 anglo identity

Hi

I have a wooden ended 20 key anglo. with white buttons -  plastic or bone? Steel reeds

It require some attention but I think it is recoverable without too much work and it would be suitable for a beginner.

It has no makers name but has a number 50784 on one of the reed plates.

Does anyone recognise this number sequence?  It does not fit in the Wheatstone numbering system.

Cheers

Alan

You mention “reed plates.” If they are, indeed, reed plates:

2.jpg

... then it is certainly not a Wheatstone, but a hybrid of some sort (a concertina with accordion reeds, which are less expensive). These are accordion reeds. Concertina reeds (in anything that would have come out of the Wheatstone factory) do not have plates:

image004.jpg

Can you post pictures?

15 hours ago, constantsqueezer said:

I have a wooden ended 20 key anglo. with white buttons -  plastic or bone? Steel reeds

It require some attention but I think it is recoverable without too much work and it would be suitable for a beginner.

It has no makers name but has a number 50784 on one of the reed plates.

Does anyone recognise this number sequence?  It does not fit in the Wheatstone numbering system.

On the contrary, it could be a Wheatstone from the beginning of their new 50000- Anglo sequence that started in 1937, but the relevant ledger is missing (presumed destroyed on B&H's bonfire), in which case the buttons would be made of the casein plastic "Erinoid".

Otherwise it could be a Lachenal from c.1878, with bone buttons.

I can only presume that the "reed plate" you refer to is the wooden "reedpan" into which the reed-frames are slotted?

Whilst, as I often say, a picture tells a thousand words.