Renelli Concertina

Hi

I just acquired a Renelli Italy Concertina and know nothing about it or concertinas except that I would like to learn how to play one.

Any info about this specific instrument and or recommendations on what sort of self teaching books I should get would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome aboard, Tugger!

We all hope you enjoy your concertina adventure!

You'll need to inform us as to how many buttons your Renelli has.

(I'm guessing it has 20 and plays a different note in ans out on each button which would make it a 20b anglo.)

As far as book recommendations it would be helpful to know what kind of music you are interested in playing.

For traditional Irish tunes you might try the Mick Bramich books and cd.

(The "Irish Concertina" is designed for a 30b concertina but some of the book's tunes can be played on 20b. He also has a 20b book out which I have not seen.)

Bertram Levy's book and cds cover a variety of musics with some insight into the English approach to anglo concertina. Again, some tunes will fit a 20b; others will not.

Let all of us know how you get along.

Best of luck,

Greg J

Renellis are really low-end instruments but playable if in really good shape and fine for a starter. Most people move up to a better instrument in short order as they become frustrated with the poor response and limited keys. On the bright side though is - from no squeezebox to a low-end concertina is a 100% improvement!

Those books mentioned represent two completely different playing styles.... I suggest going for a really basic book like Mick Bramich's Absolute Beginners' Concertina - A guide to the 20-key Anglo only if you're really into the Irish way of playing things or Mel Bay's Deluxe Concertina Book by Frank Converse for a more general way of playing tunes.

There also many more "complete" tutor books which do take you through the basics (though quite speedily) and into more chording/backup and tunes. Check out the The Button Box's Lesson Books page to see what is available and a brief description of each. Some even come with CD's!

Hi

tugger again

yes, the renelli has 20 plus one keys/buttons and I am aware that it is low end as some of the buttons seem to play the same note and some of the notes do not sound in the proper sequence/tune BUT it is - as said before- 100% more concertina than I had before.

I took it apart and see that it appears to be similar in mechanism to my harmonicas. Is the concertina used as a chord instrument like the harmonica and the way many people use a ukulele- support vs melody?

I suspect that I will attempt to tune it after I know a bit more about what I am dealing with.

can you tell from the number of keys whether it is an anglo or irish or german style? I gather that those are the most common types.

will the mel bay delux book cover the needed basics for any type of concertina?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

tugger again

yes, the renelli has 20 plus one keys/buttons and I am aware that it is low end as some of the buttons seem to play the same note and some of the notes do not sound in the proper sequence/tune BUT it is - as said before- 100% more concertina than I had before.

I took it apart and see that it appears to be similar in mechanism to my harmonicas. Is the concertina used as a chord instrument like the harmonica and the way many people use a ukulele- support vs melody?

I suspect that  I will attempt to tune it after I know a bit more about what I am dealing with.

can you tell from the number of keys whether it is an anglo or irish or german style? I gather that those are the most common types.

will the mel bay delux book cover the needed basics for any type of concertina?

thanks

G'Day.

I have a 20 key Renelli. When it came in to my hands buttons were sticking (I found the tube sleeve securing each button to its metal bar had perished. I replaced them with model aeroplane fuel line which seems to be a silicon based product) and I remade the hand pieces and relocated them closer to the air button and key buttons. It plays fine now though I have no illusions it is a budget model sounding rather thin having a single reed for each tone.

Mel Bay's book by Frank Converse started me off on 20 key concertinas and it is adequate.

Bob Kail's "The Best Concertina Method -yet" certainly has a lot of folk tunes in it .

Both touch briefly upon playing melodies with the right hand while playing the accompaniments on the left.

I prefer Mel Bay.

It is a diatonic instrument, i.e. it plays a different tone on each button depending on whether you are pushing the bellows in or drawing it out -called the Anglo system.

Mine is in keys of C (top row) and G. I guess if you play harmonica you will soon get the knack of playing it by ear just imagine. It is like two harmonicas C/G split in half and placed one on top of the other on each side.

Give it a try and if you like it you will soon be in search of a better instrument.

Cheers from down under.