Jeffries Bros 45 key anglo in G/D

doodle

This is a reluctant, but necessary sale through age and some illness.

It has been suggested by a previous owner and cnet luminary, that this instrument was probably one of the last sold by the late Lancashire concertina player Fred Kilroy.  In fairness, Fred had many concertinas, but apparently a previous owner called it 'Kilroy' for that reason and said owner was not in the habit of naming his instruments!

However, I bought it through Theo Gibb in 2013, who I believe acquired it from Jim Lucas of this parish. It had previously been thoroughly fettled and remains a superb instrument, which I've mainly played at home (pet free / smoke free) or on odd occasions at folk clubs for song accompaniment.

This concertina is in fine order, plays very quickly and has a strong and clear 'voice' with a good dynamic range (well it is a Jeffries, after all!) suiting it to song or tune playing.  I haven't felt the need to have any tuning/ pad / or valve work done, as there haven't been any issues in use, but I changed 2 bone buttons - the drone and air - for metal ones to complete the set. I'm not sure why they had been different, perhaps it was to do with touch.   I usually play / sing whilst standing and the weight has been no trouble, but it is heavier, of course, than a 30 key C/G and although a G/D, it is very responsive and not at all ponderous to play. 

It comes with a modern hard-case.

I'm aware that the anglo instruments with a larger number of buttons tend to be less popular than 30 / 39 key ones, but this one only has an extra 6 buttons over a 39 and is rather rarer as a Jeffries G/D, so given my situation, I've priced it to sell at £4650 + delivery. Only available to UK buyers for now, as I really don't fancy navigating international sales trivia!

20230601_100527(1).jpg

20230601_100224(1).jpg

20230601_100200(1).jpg

Edited by doodle
erroneous text