Learning from book questions

Cathasach

On 10/14/2022 at 2:35 AM, wunks said:

To add to this discussion but draw no conclusion, I did a little experiment myself.  I have 7 duplicated notes left hand/right hand on my duet.  If I press both buttons and apply bellows pressure slowly, the identical notes on the left will start slightly before those on the right both push and pull with 2 exceptions.  If I leave the overlap zone the lag in start time for the higher notes is more uniform throughout.  With increased pressure however the high reeds catch up to and seem to overtake the lower ones in volume.

That's an interesting experiment, but your results are less statistically compelling than they might intuitively seem. If it was completely random whether right or left responded first, then 45% of the time you would get at least a 5:2 ratio in one direction or another. In other words, if you counted how many left-hand buttons respond first, then 45% of the time your answer would be 0, 1, 2, 5, 6 or 7. So this is not evidence that left-hand buttons tend to respond first.