Flash cards for Anglo Wheatstone C/G layout

MichaelT

Hey forum! My first post here – I'm awaiting the arrival of my first concertina from Dublin (to Australia), and finding ways to pass the time.

To get up to speed faster I've thrown together some flash cards to help me get my head around the keys, and thought I'd put them here in case they were useful to others. Here's a link to the zip, containing versions for the Studies app (which I made them in, has a good iPhone version), and Anki (a popular free flash cards app), as well as PDFs for printing. Separated into just the most-used 24 notes, and the full set.

https://drop.michael.tyson.id.au/1631051344/Wheatstone-CG-Layout-Flash-Cards.zip

609129281_ScreenShot2021-09-08at08_01_37.thumb.jpg.53ac9ac33dda8bf2b48ed70d5fcc98cf.jpg

Also, a map of the layout with the notes shown on a stave, and connections shown between alternative keys, so I can start getting my head around cross-rowing.

Anglo Wheatstone CG Layout.pdf

372882265_AngloWheatstoneCGLayout.thumb.jpg.3d3fdc96c869ddbe43efe2022ff19bb4.jpg

...And, a mnemonic I figured out for remembering the layout:

Push

LH T Push: Embarrassed Anarchist Cuddles# A Granny# (C and G are sharp)

RH T Push: Cancelling# Affection, Granny# Curses# Abominably (C and G are sharp)

LH C Push: Cursing Granny Can’t Eat Grapes

RH C Push: Can’t Eat Grapes: Cancel Everything

LH G Push: Beware Dentures, Granny Brings Disaster

RH G Push: Granny’s Bitey Dentures Get Boisterous

Pull

LH T Pull: Flatulent Badgers♭ Discharged# Germs Boldly♭ (B is flat, D is sharp)

RH T Pull: Discharged# Germs Busily♭ Developed# Finance (B is flat, D is sharp)

LH C Pull: Germ Bankers Don’t Fund Antibiotics

RH C Pull: Biologists Don’t Find Any Bias

LH G Pull: A F#ACE

LH G Pull: F#ACE (of)F#

Who knows if it'll actually help, but at least I feel like I'm doing something 😁

Edited by MichaelT
Added mnemonic
  • Like 2

Nice work!  I love the mnemonic phrases, especially, and the diagram of duplicated notes is great to see laid out.  I'm about two years in, and still have it on my list to learn the notes on the buttons at the extremities that I rarely get to, so I may be spending time with your learning aids.

Here's hoping your new instrument arrives soon and lives up to your expectations!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...