Tunes Tunes Tunes

otsaku

Wow! Thanks! Talk about perfect timing.... I'm currently in the process of putting together a similar compendium - examples of tunes in various melodic modes - for my duet class part of the Northeast Concertina Workshop - so to show how the harmony and accompaniement for eachof the modes can be like. These tunes will help out a lot! I was particularly having a hard time coming up with phrygian tunes....

I was particularly having a hard time coming up with phrygian tunes....

Vroooooom - is the sound of things going over my head :blink:

I'm glad you found it usefull. I remember I found it whilst looking for "when johnny comes marching home" last year when I was starting the tin whistle.

The only thing that annoys me slightly is that I can't find recordings of a lot of those tunes.

I have a session tune pdf and two more with tunes for c and d whistles if they should be of any interest.

Who knows? I would imagine that those pdf collection would have more interest than the one in obscure modes. Please post away!

What genre is "those tunes" that are you having a hard time finding? Civil war songs? I usually Google for the name of the tune I want in parenthesis and add "midi" after it which usually turns up a lot of sites with just what I want, not only the midi file of it to hear, but often the notation as well. If you want recordings of them, instead of "midi" add "CD", or "sheet music" if you want that.

Not sure where I found this originally but its been languishing on my hard disk so I thought I'd share :

tunes.pdf

It's the abc-based portion of a lengthy web-posted document by Scottish musicologist Jack Campin, who calls it "An illustrated tutorial on modes and tonality in Scottish music with over 200 tune examples, aimed at performers rather than musicologists." See his web page at http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/index.html (scroll down to the listings under "Traditional music resources," where the link will take you to the complete document, which is a tutorial of sorts with embedded examples in abc format. The introduction states:

"This document is intended to help Scottish traditional musicians undo some of the damage done by high-school music teachers while not taking off into irrelevant side-issues. All the theory here is illustrated by real, and I hope interesting, Scottish traditional music."

Note that it is a copyrighted work (see the bottom of the file).

[edited for bizarre typo -- I've now corrected the name to Jack (not Jamp) Campin.]

Edited by Michael Reid

session.pdf

d_whistle_archive.pdf from chiff and fipple

c_whistle_archive.pdf from chiff and fipple

It was sheet music in general I was having a hard time finding.

I was finding a lot of abc's and midi's that didn't match the song I was searching for or some very curious arrangements.

Then there is converting midi and abc to sheet music - I use tabledit and it doesn't always translate a tune successfully.

And ofcourse there are all those wonderful sites that want money for sheet music and I haven't had a good experience with a single one of them.

As for genre/s I tend to be quite whimsical in the tunes I want to learn.

In the past month I've learnt dirty old town, amazing grace, fairytale of new york, the gentleman soldier, somewhere over the rainbow, fly me to the moon, summertime ( from Alan's pdf ), failed to learn morrison's jig ( any jig actually ) and

halting versions of irish rover, wild rover, blow the man down, bare necessities and numerous others.

I want to learn a lot of irish and scottish music ( especially jigs, reels and hornpipes ) and at the moment stick with airs until I get a better sense of playing the rythm and not just the notes.

Johnny comes marching home, dixie and battle hymn of the republic crept into my singing repetoire many many years ago and I find it easy to learn play an instrument if I can think or sing the lyrics at the same time.

Probably one of my problems playing jigs etc that I don't have a mental reference of the melody...

The song I'm trying to hunt down at the moment is ralph mctell's streets of london.

So far I've found one strangish version on jc's abc tune finder...

Not sure where I found this originally but its been languishing on my hard disk so I thought I'd share : tunes.pdf
It's the abc-based portion of a lengthy web-posted document by Scottish musicologist Jamp Campin....

Thanks for the origin info! I'll be contacting him about using his work.