Hayden Button Number System

Do they have a button number system for Haydens like they use for the anglo 20 button 12345, 6789 10? Just wondered if there is such a number system for Hayden. Something to help with sheet music. Numbers for music buttons. Thanks Ron

(4) (5) (6) (7)

(1) (2) (3)

If you have sheet music that numbers the notes of the diatonic scale with 1 as tonic then that should work.

Start anywhere.

Not sure what you mean the music doesn't have any numbers. Having trouble seeing the set up as I'm use to the piano type set up. Wonder whats the best way to learn the Hayden set up. Or it it just look and find until I remember. Thanks Ron

As I understand it:

The idea of the given pattern is that the numbered button pattern shows the relationship of the buttons required for any diatonic major scale. So first you must find the button for the starting note of the major scale (the tonic) and call that button "1" and then the position of the other notes in that major scale will be in the relative positions shown. If you start with a different button, then the pattern will be the same, but it will sound in a different key. (There are some limitations near the edges where you run out of buttons of course.)

The idea behind the Hayden arrangement is that if you want to transpose the music to play in a different key, the relative button positions required are exactly the same, but the start position is simply transposed.

So for example if you want to play in the key of C major, then you need to find "C" and then the button pattern will be:

(F) (G) (A) (B )

(C ) (D) (E)

But if you want to play in the key of G then you need to find a button for "G" and then the pattern will be:

(C ) (D) (E) (F#)

(G) (A) (B )

Same pattern, just in a different place.

So yes, you have to look and find where the tonic note is that you want, and remember that so you can play in the key you desire. Once that is found, then the relative positions for the rest of the notes in a tune remain the same, no matter what key you are in.

Both sides of the instrument have this same general button pattern, with the left side an octave lower. There will also be some overlap, so the lower notes on the right hand will also be available among the higher notes on the left hand. That makes the given button pattern available over a wider range on each side, which also makes it easier to build independent harmonies for each hand.

I don't play this system, though I did have the chance to try out one out that a friend bought earlier this year. I like the idea of the Hayden system, but it is quite unfamiliar in practice, and I still have more than enough to learn on the Anglo system for now!

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

Thanks all this info, it is great as I am new to the Hayden system.

Thinking about chords I know there is a set up for majors and minors positions but it looks like 7ths might be a search as you go thing. I will just have to take it slow. Thanks Ron

Dominant 7ths are consistant and easy. They fit the pinky of your left hand perfectly.

(4) (5) (6) (7)

(Dominant7th) (1) (2) (3)

So a C7 is:

( ) ( m) ( ) ( )

(p) ( r) ( ) (i)

Where your ring finger is on the C, index on the 3rd, and middle finger on the 5th.

Edited by Patrick Scannell

Dominant 7ths are consistant and easy. They fit the pinky of your left hand perfectly.

(4) (5) (6) (7)

(Dominant7th) (1) (2) (3)

So a C7 is:

( ) ( m) ( ) ( )

(p) ( r) ( ) (i)

Where your ring finger is on the C, index on the 3rd, and middle finger on the 5th.

Noticed that a little earlier today. So there is also a setup for the 7th. So now I see Majors, Minors and 7ths possible. Starting to get like an accordion. Thanks Ron