Wheatstone Mcann For Sale

earlloughrey

hi everyone earl here posting from sunny ireland!!? i have a wheatstone mcann 81 button concertina for sale.ebony raised ends 8 fold bellows,b522,serial no29980 i believe this dates it about 1924. in the original leather box with original receipt £38/10 feb 14 1925. all in really good condition. i`m not sure of the value but i`m sure you folks can help. more info, it is a wheatstone aeola 8 sided.

Edited by earlloughrey

hi everyone earl here posting from sunny ireland!!? i have a wheatstone mcann 81 button concertina for sale.ebony raised ends 8 fold bellows,b522,serial no29980 i believe this dates it about 1924. in the original leather box with original receipt £38/10 feb 14 1925. all in really good condition. i`m not sure of the value but i`m sure you folks can help.

Hi earlloughrey,

Vintage concertina value depends a great deal on quality, condition and demand.

You have a good instrument, from a good maker, and from a good period of manufacture.

Condition would depend on playability and aesthetics. Tuning could be important. If by "b522" you mean the instrument is tuned to a b note = 522 Hz then your instrument would be in very high old pitch. (Quite a job to bring into standard pitch!) Bellows tightness and condition would also be important. Button action and appearance and integrity of the woodwork also play a part. All the above are influenced by the history of the instrument including how it was treated, played and stored.

My take on the current demand for MacCann instruments is that they are presently not flying off the shelves. Sellability can also be a function of price. In this case you have an instrument whose size and weight become a consideration to some prospective players. Availability can also be a factor. If someone is looking for a large, top of the line MacCann in XXXX condition then you have an instrument not seen everyday.

One way to arrive at a sell price is to see what is on the market that is equivalent (Maker, model, condition) determine how long it has been on the market, subtract any repair or refurbishment necessities (to make the comparison equal) and then price a bit below market value if demand does not appear high.

The Button Box currently has a metal end 81b Wheatstone MacCann Aeola from the same period listed at $4200. I have an equivalent (practically a twin) Wheatstone for $4000. Both are in tune and in top condition. Both have been available for the past 6 months.

Getting your instrument's condition appraised by a knowledgeable dealer in concertinas (Stephen Chambers in Miltown Malbray, Co Claire; or Chris Algar in the UK) would be helpful.

Hope this helps.

Greg