Reed Construction And Materials

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know off hand, though I suggest the following approach in order to find such a material. The frequency of vibration of a bar of metal mounted as a cantilever depends upon its geometry and the ratio of Young's Modulus to material density. The speed of sound in the material also depends upon this ratio. No other material property affects this frequency and speed, and this ratio thus uniquely determines not only the frequency of the vibrating bar, but also its shape. A material that has the same value of this ratio as does brass will vibrate in the same way brass vibrates. There's another criterion, however, that you should require, since you indicate that brass is too fragile, or weak; namely, that the material's yield strength be greater than that of brass.

Many tables can be found that list the physical and mechanical properties of pure metals and alloys. There remains to conduct this search with the above criteria. Incidentally, there's nothing here that limits the search to metals, and some polymers may also prove interesting. Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Best regards,

Tom

www.bluesbox.biz

...there's nothing here that limits the search to metals, and some polymers may also prove interesting.

I've always thought it would be interesting to try to build an all-glass concertina.

There are so many different kinds of glass -- some are flexible, some conduct electricity, etc. -- that I think it should be possible, but I haven't either the expertise to try it, nor connections to people who might.

I've always thought it would be interesting to try to build an all-glass concertina.

Interesting idea. Today's developments in material's science bring to mind even more materials, such as composites (graphite, etc.) and liquid (amorphous)metals. Perhaps someone with expertise in these areas can pass comment.

Best regards,

Tom

www.bluesbox.biz