Rushworth Concertinas

Dirge

My 46 key Maccan, lachenal badged and no 1751 (about 1900), has a celluloid button inset in the wood telling me it's from Rushworth, 13 islington, Liverpool. So they were the supplier of a lach' 'box. Big deal.

But it is actually quite a nice 'box for what it is. It only has brass reeds, but they seem to me to be nicely responsive, and it has rosewood veneer on the ends. Other than being pleased with my lucky purchase, as I see it, I didn't think about it too hard, until the other day when I got around to looking up Rushworths on the internet.

They turn out to be a huge music store, still going, dating back to Victorian times. I found an advert in a late 19c newspaper and it struck me that they offered 39 and 46 key Maccans (the smallest usual sizes) with either brass or steel reeds, but always with rosewood ends.

I remember discussions about Boyd concertinas and how they are nice instruments because of the spec that Boyd ordered and wondered if perhaps Rushworths also insisted on a slightly better than standard product to sell. I bet the celluloid name plate was fitted at the Lachenal works too.

So, does anyone else have a Rushworth concertina and if so, what do you think of it?

I also learnt that the Beatles bought their guitars at the same shop my concertina came from. I'd better look at those funny chords in 'Michelle' again, in honour of that.

Edited by Dirge

The advanced search feature yielded this discussion:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15032&hl=%2Brushworth+%2Band+%2Bdraper#entry142682

Ross Schlabach is no stranger to nice concertinas and he speaks highly of the Rushworth and Draper Crabb he acquired from Paul Groff. I believe the instrument has changed hands a time or two since Ross and now resides in the Boston area.

Certain storefronts seem to have associations with good instruments. The Vickers company sold many concertinas and I've heard their stamp may be be a good indicator.

Here is another link exploring the Peerless label:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4556

I've come across some good instruments that were labeled Campbell's Superior. Whether this is anecdotal or accidental evidence or a if a real trend in quality lies with certain companies, in my opinion, it adds to the mystery and intigue of concertinas.

Greg

The advanced search feature yielded this discussion:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15032&hl=+rushworth++and++draper#entry142682

Ross Schlabach is no stranger to nice concertinas and he speaks highly of the Rushworth and Draper Crabb he acquired from Paul Groff. I believe the instrument has changed hands a time or two since Ross and now resides in the Boston area.

Certain storefronts seem to have associations with good instruments. The Vickers company sold many concertinas and I've heard their stamp may be be a good indicator.

Here is another link exploring the Peerless label:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4556

I've come across some good instruments that were labeled Campbell's Superior. Whether this is anecdotal or accidental evidence or a if a real trend in quality lies with certain companies, in my opinion, it adds to the mystery and intigue of concertinas.

Greg

You're right I didn't do I search; I'd almost forgotten one could...

The Crabb Rushworth and Dreaper bit is perhaps a red herring; the 'and Dreaper' bit came later and they'd have been dealing with what seems to me to be a smaller more 'involved' manufacturer. Lachenal were the mass makers and you'd think there was less personal service going on. Fair, do you think? It does suggest that Rushworths were interested enough in having a decent product with their own badge on to change horses.

Perhaps if you were a customer buying regularly in numbers they took special care of you. But to the point where you get better instruments than those badged as the company's own?

I found a Campbells here a while ago but because it was an Anglo I made a quick buck on it without having a clue how well it played, so I missed that one.

Dirge,

I'm having much better luck searching the forums if I go straight to advanced search using the little "spur wheel" next to the magnifying glass.

I imagine the bigger retailers could bring some extra pressure on their supplier to "send us a nice batch". I can also imagine Lachenal tucking in some nicer examples in a batch of 20 or 30 concertinas to encourage the next big order. Or do you suppose a retailer like Vickers might send their "concertina man" down to the factory showroom to make sure they were getting the good ones?

Lachenal history expert Randall Merris is beginning to think the company indeed made all the concertinas indicated by the serial #s. If so, that means 3000-4000 concertinas a year! That's an easy 50-75 a week! I'm sure anyone who could sell a dozen a week was encouraged to remain a favored customer.

Greg

Perhaps if you were a customer buying regularly in numbers they took special care of you. But to the point where you get better instruments than those badged as the company's own?

Better than some of the company's own. Lachenal made models of lesser and greater quality in every type... anglo as well as English and duet. The specially badged batches were almost certainly better than their cheapest, but not necessarily better than or even as good as the best that bore the Lachenal name. Maybe they could be considered a custom model.

I don't think I ever doubted they made instruments for all the numbers but when you work it out that is a lot, isn't it?

Taking your idea Jim, I've never seen any of the other makes (that I recall), but I remember the Campbell's Anglo was also rosewood veneered. If they are all fairly similar, could they all be just one model; lachenal's 'For the Trade only' job that didn't figure in the normal catalogue but the salesman had in his armoury to offer a business like Rushworths when required? Some extra jam to bring home the bulk repeat order?

Thanks for the search tip Greg.

Edited by Dirge