Wtb: Bastari 20B Bellows, Or Alternately Wts Bastari Ends

MatthewVanitas

I have a somewhat cosmetically worn but reasonably functionally solid Bastari 20b Anglo. I believe it's C/G but can't confirm due to a bellows issue.

The bellows simply won't close properly, are very unlimber and completely stop folding a few inches before the closed position. I emphasize, I'm holding down multiple buttons, not fighting against the vacuum here. I took off one end, and the bellows are just as inflexible. As best as I can tell, somebody reinforced each fold with some leather, so it simply can't compress properly.

I'm reasonably sure this would be a functional 20-button with a non-jammed set of bellows, so I'd like to buy a set of bellows if someone has some, or alternately if someone wants to buy the two ends with complete reed-banks (buttons need re-sleeving, and I'm missing 2 buttons but those should be easy to source) I can sell them quite inexpensively.

Also if anyone wants the ill-patched bellows for anything, let me know.

PS: Here's a pic of the inside of the bellows; does it seem to anyone else that the problem is a bulky patch-job gone wrong?

70cd1u.jpg

Hi Matthew,

My advice would be to pick up another instrument, I've got 20 key bastaris ofrom ebay for under £30 recently -not sure if this is the same situation in the states. Also search for cheaper "Stagi" models as these are likely to be similar. Then you have plenty of spare parts to combine into a more functional instrument. These bellows tend to have much shallower and greater number of folds when compared to more traditionally made instruments, so I'm not surprised that any new gussetting or rebinding would have the effect you are describing, you would want to use very thin and supple material if you were to try. Bear in mind that when new these bellows are fairly stiff anyway, so if you can find an older instrument that looks well played in but undamaged, so much the better.

If you do find a spare set of bellows that are the same size, be aware that you will probably run into difficulties aligning the end screws with the holes in the bellows frames. The solution here would be to rebore the bellows frames using your existing ends as templates, and install threaded inserts for a new set of end bolts. This is inexpensive to do and a great improvement on the woodscrews which tend to fail with repeated removals.

Have fun,

Paul.