Bertram Levy Tour dates

I will be on tour both on the west coast and Chicago - Michigan region over the next 3 months I will be performing with the great Round Peak Fiddler Kirk Sutphin. We will be doing concerts dances and workshops and I will be playing the concertina and banjo. I am available for workshops or private classes if there is an interest. In particular if there is a group interest in a workshop in the Chicago area, a special time can be arranged at the Old Town School with advanced notice. Thanks Bertram (see Facebook Kirk Sutphin Bertram Levy tour)

Tour dates: Kirk Sutphin and Bertram Levy

Jan 19 Saturday Portland OR

Portland Old Time Gathering

Jan 21 Monday Eugene Ore. Cozmics

“MelissaTakush” melissamandra@yahoo.com

Jan 23 Wednesday Ashland OR

"Kevin Carr" <kcccarr@gmail.com>,

Jan 24 Thursday Mountain View CA

"Steinberg, Daniel" <instantharmony@gmail.com>

Jan 25 Friday Grass Valley CA

"Joyce Miller" <joyceling@sbcglobal.net>,

Jan 26 Sat Santa Cruz CA

"Irene Herrmann" <herrmann@ucsc.edu>

Jan 27 Sunday Fresno CA Fresno Folklore Society

"Terry Barrett" <terrytunespianos@gmail.com>,

Jan 29 Tuesday Colfax CA

Jenny <colfaxhill@yahoo.com>

Jan 31 Thursday Port Townsend WA Upstage Bistro

Feb 1 Friday Olympia WA Traditions Café

Feb 2 Saturday Seattle WA Seattle Folklore Society

Feb 8 – 10 Chicago Folk Festival

March 9 Old Town School workshop Chicago

March 10 Fiddle Club of the World (Chicago Chapter)

Paul Tyler <ptyler@oldtownschool.org>

March 11 Chicago Barn Dance

March 12 Ann Arbor MI pending

March 13 -14 Michigan State University East Lansing

workshop, dance concert

"Hatton, John" <cleffd_ear@yahoo.com>,

March 15 Grand Rapids MI pending

March 16 Kalamazoo MI

"Marilyn Brand<mlbranchjwcooper@gmail.com>,

• 4 weeks later...

I attended Kirk and Bertram's concert in Seattle Saturday evening. It was a very entertaining performance with many fine tunes shared between them. They played a combination of instruments, with Kirk on fiddle and fretless banjo, and Bertram on anglo concertina, banjo and something that reminded me of a metal body resonator guitar that Bertram described as a one-of-a kind instrument and mentioned it had a banjo neck.

They were onstage for over two hours, introducing each tune with perspective on its origin and then launching into a musical exploration of its possibilities. Much of the material played is in Bertram's new tutor, and it was all music that fans of Southeastern fiddle music will be familiar with. A substantial portion of it was passed from Tommy Jarrell and Henry Reed, included some period Minstrel music too.

Kirk and Bertram traded seamlessly between lead and accompaniment roles, showing a close familiarity with the material and demonstrating a well refined musical partnership. Bertram played his concertina many times during the concert and his flowing renditions seemed flawless and sparkling. The sound of his instrument blended well with Kirk's expert fiddling and the effect was very enjoyable. Bertram's choice of a vintage Bastari model for this music is a good one, the sound of the reeds is warm and cooperative rather than confrontational as some other concertina types might be.

This concert marked the end of their west coast tour, but they will be performing in Chicago and Michigan in the near future.