Concertina workshop with Rob Harbron, Sheffield, June 16th

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know about a workshop day I'll be running near Sheffield (UK) on June 16th. It's being organised at the last minute to fill a sudden gap in the diary, but I'm hoping it will be of interest to some of you. It's already being discussed here but I'm posting again so it will appear in the News feed.

16 June 2012 | Concertina Day with Rob Harbron |

Underbank Schoolrooms, Sheffield | £35

Rob Harbron will lead a one-day concertina workshop which will help players develop and consolidate their own individual playing styles. Rob plays the English system but the day will be open to players of all systems and much of the day will be spent discussing ideas and technique which are not system-specific. The day will be suitable for players of all abilities, from basic through to intermediate and advanced.

The day is concerned more with individual style and technique than playing together, but music for a few tunes which will be used throughout the day will be sent by email a few days beforehand.

Session 1: 11am – 12:30pm

Doing the basics well - making a good sound by thinking about posture, use of the bellows, tone, attack, dynamics, etc.

LUNCH (BYO or local pubs)

Session 2: 1:30pm – 3pm

Developing your own style - looking at phrasing, groove, swing, ornamentation, variation, etc

Session 3: 3:30pm – 5pm

Putting it all together - shortcuts to harmony and accompaniment, techniques for building arrangements, and ways to perform more confidently.

Book a place (using PayPal): www.robertharbron.co.uk

Send email if you have any questions or would prefer to pay by cash/cheque on the day.

All the best,

Rob

Thanks Rob. I really enjoyed the Lewes workshop and as an Anglo player would urge players of all systems to get there. Nice area and steeped in traditional music! I can recommend local sessions for anyone staying over the weekend

Edited by michael sam wild