Skype music lessons

m3838

Hello Gentlemen.

Not necessarily concertina related, rather more general.

I've put aside my English Concertina for some time and decided to explore fiddle. (Blue Grass, Delta, Appalachian, Klezmer)

No funds for violin teacher, hard to find fiddle teacher in San Francisco. Some Internet hits, but either too expensive or too far. Like a guy in Castro district, where it is impossible to park.

I am exploring various group settings. I took group class at the Community College. It was good immersion, I like group setting, but the class dragged wa-ay behind me and there is no Violin II or III. I'm left to my own devices.

Any Skype lessons you are aware of? Group lessons or gatherings (beginning) in San Francisco?

Or Half an Hour lessons once every 2 weeks? My kid is in college, my other kid is taking expensive ballet lessons, expensive summer camp activity... you know what I'm talking about.

I checked violin/fiddle forums - I'm drowning in the vastness of entries. Besides, I like asking concertina/accordion folks doubling with fiddles.

Thanks.

Hello m!

Nice to hear from you again!!

San Francisco is a hotbed of traditional fiddle music, in all the styles you mentioned. Also look for "old time" or "old timey" as a category.

The way to learn that music is to go to jam sessions. If you look for them, you will find them. You just have to get plugged in to the trad music scene there. Cozy up to the fiddlers you find, and learn where they gather. There are also camps in the area like Lark camp, and farther north the Festival of American Fiddle Tunes in Port Townsend is coming. It's not full yet, and it's perfect for beginners. It's like heaven for the more experienced players!!

And you can also drag out your "wrinkle fiddle" for a few tunes!

Best wishes!

• 3 weeks later...

send me a pm or email and i might be able to help you find a fiddle teacher. i know a few players out there, one girl in particular who spent a year or two in galway playing traditional music for a living.

We all love Darcy don't we? ;-)

send me a pm or email and i might be able to help you find a fiddle teacher. i know a few players out there, one girl in particular who spent a year or two in galway playing traditional music for a living.

We all love Darcy don't we? ;-)

haha, yeah we do, :-)