Bellows across the knee?

I'm a Leftie and a long-time student of Noel Hill's. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, he plays with the left end on his left knee and teaches that positioning to his students. I tried that but found my right hand and arm were unequal to the task. But I was able to easily adapt to a right end on right knee positioning that has worked well for me over the years - Noel's fussing at me nothwithstanding. I am delighted at the dynamics I can get this way. Some can argue that using the left knee allows the lower notes on the anglo to be reinforced somewhat by reflection off the knee. If that is in fact true, then my using the right knee is probably reinforcing the higher notes somewhat. I don't know for sure but I haven't had any complaints.

I have always felt that keeping the bellows off the knees would extend the life of the bellows. If one feels the need to use the knee(s), then I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference. But I do think Dave has a point and I think that if you own a fine instrument like a Jeffries, Wheatstone, Dipper or the like - with original bellows - then don't you have some moral obligation to care for and protect that bellows? Of course if you live close to a bellows maker like Greg Jowaisas and you don't feel any need to protect a bellows, then Play On!

Ross Schlabach

I know that people advise against wearing out the leather but I am beginning to find it is more responsive. At workshops I've attended Harry Scurfield (Anglo) and Rob Harbron (EC) have both suggested it makes sense to use the natural 'fall' of the bellows in this way with the bellows like an arched bridge. They both said it might necessitate new or repaired bellows every 20 years or so! So any views?.

In Bertram Levy's new tutor ( I think ) he recommended that you imagine a ball of gel inside the bellows and compress and release it. That seems to fit with balancing the bellws across the knee.

I adopted the right end on the right knee at the outset as I hold the melodeon stady and push the bellows from the left end. I am now finding the balanced method helps.

I realise it's been talked about before but in the light of the veiws of people I respect I just wondered if it was worth resurrecting the discussion

Not too worried about the bellows. Just a note: I'm right handed and play my Anglo with the end on my left knee; but, I'm learning the melodeon and find I do better with the right end on my right knee. Those who have played for a long time say the treble end should be on my left knee. Then I watch some fine players on YouTube and the treble end is on the right knee. So, I figure it must depend on a player's individual ergonomics. A friend plays the harmonica and doesn't worry about his knees. He doesn't smoke so his bellows are ok.